Options

Recommended additional BSCI study material

NicholasRNicholasR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently missed my BSCI by a few percentage points and I am looking for another book or study guide plus practice exam questions to supplement the materials that I already have before taking it again. I thought about just sitting again after reviewing what I already have but I want to be sure that I know the material well and that a second go around is going to get me a passing grade.
I currently have the Sybex and Exam Cram books with there associated practice exams plus the Boson Router Simulator. Another text that included good practice exam questions would be great. Any suggestions are appreciated. I know that someone had mentioned Bryant Advantage Study guides. Would this be a good option?

Comments

• Options
    romainromain Member Posts: 222
    Hello,

I never used Bryant's guides but you could have a look to Routing TCP/IP v1 & 2 and the Cisco Press Self Study from Catherine Paquet, Diane Teare which is quite good.

Good luck for your next attempt! icon_wink.gif
    CCIE R&S Candidate

Dynamips Labs
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A little tip for you! This is not the ccna, for ccnp you need to understand the details.Sybex is always a nice read as its gives an overview only, using an exam cram and only Sybex was asking for trouble.
    Why dont you read past threads of people passing and indicating what material they used.Cisco press is generally safe but boring,this is the preferred material along with a couple of other decent books.I've pretty much stayed clear of Sybex since the ccna,except yesterday i read the mpls book,it only took 1 day, thats how much of an easy read Sybex is.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    A little tip for you! This is not the ccna, for ccnp you need to understand the details.Sybex is always a nice read as its gives an overview only, using an exam cram and only Sybex was asking for trouble.
    Why dont you read past threads of people passing and indicating what material they used.Cisco press is generally safe but boring,this is the preferred material along with a couple of other decent books.I've pretty much stayed clear of Sybex since the ccna,except yesterday i read the mpls book,it only took 1 day, thats how much of an easy read Sybex is.

Agreed. Sybex are a waste of paper IMO. The books are an overview, just like Chris Bryants videos. The overviews are good to start or finish your studies but you really need to understand the concepts before reading the Sybex books. I would suggest the Paquet/Teare book along with Doyle for your primary sources, and use the Sybex book at the end....The more you know the better off you are anyways ;)
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    NicholasRNicholasR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. I have never used a cisco press book but I have flipped through them a little bit and noticed how long and dry they can be so I was hoping to avoid that. Oh well looks to be the best option and it certainly is highly recommended on Amazon so I think that I am going to pick up the CCNP Self-Study: Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (2nd Edition) (Self-Study Guide) and go from there. I tend to live and breathe this stuff when I get a goal in mind so my BSCI isn't too far off.