Options

Confused on Paths

ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
Hi

I have not been doing well on the OS practice exams involving
the path scenarios spanning 5 different operating system scenarios
when it comes to network tools and others, and not one but two different ways to reach these tools or components for adjustments within windows.

Some questions are tweaked even more to make the choices into even mo recomplicated combinations. Can someone recommend a tip or trick
to remembering all these paths. Or a study note or chart showing all
the possible path scenarios in reaching the tools i.e. START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK TOOLS/ ETC ETC. I know I'm going to crash and burn on these. thanks,, Ric
Richard Krenzel

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Rick,
    You'll need to get yourself in front of an OS and practice. I've never seen a break down of the 'ways' to do things. People actually just learn by doing it. As for how to answer the question...you'll need to understand the HOW and then the answer will be clear.

The best way is to do it. It is not complicated nor is it that stressful, stop reading books/notes/shortcuts and start playing with the OSs.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I only have Windows xp on my laptop and windows 95 on desktop,

The virtual machine I downloaded from Microsoft website does not
    seem to be working, it keeps saying:

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

The console comes up, I click start it goes into a black screen
    starts detecting, and then says insert boot media.
    Richard Krenzel
  • Options
    ricktea wrote:
    I only have Windows xp on my laptop and windows 95 on desktop,

The virtual machine I downloaded from Microsoft website does not
    seem to be working, it keeps saying:

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device

The console comes up, I click start it goes into a black screen
    starts detecting, and then says insert boot media.

You will need to load the OSs into VM. Even if you don't have W95, W98, WME, W2K, WNT, WXP -H & P they will be close. If you want to know for certain, you'll need copies of the OSs. Fairly safe to Skip WME. Get a copy of W98 and NT (workstation). W2K and XP will be simialr.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Fairly safe to Skip WME. Get a copy of W98 and NT (workstation). W2K and XP will be simialr.

WME, Windows...Medi...wait...Windows MILLENIUM Edition....lol...almost forgot about that one...and I I think as did Microsoft... icon_lol.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    And yet it seems that consumers have not forgotten ME. I swear it seems like its the most common OS I see at this point. I think someone hates me. icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    thanks, unfortunately I still can't get into Virtual machine
    by Microsoft , it keeps asking me for a boot device when
    the screen turns black from the console. It wants
    me to insert a boot disk or boot device. Anyone have
    this problem. I will try and get copy of 98 and NT
    thanks, Ric
    Richard Krenzel
  • Options
    ricktea wrote:
    thanks, unfortunately I still can't get into Virtual machine
    by Microsoft , it keeps asking me for a boot device when
    the screen turns black from the console. It wants
    me to insert a boot disk or boot device. Anyone have
    this problem. I will try and get copy of 98 and NT
    thanks, Ric

It's not a problem Rick, it is emulating a workstation. If you haven't installed the additional OSs then it won't do anything. Did you read anything on the MS site about VM prior to installing it?

Try here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/2957/en-us?sid=312

You'll need to read up on the rest and you'll find the MS site rather helpful regarding the volume of information. I'll add that when using the MS site, they do tend to assume you know what your problem is...so if you don't immediately find an answer...try searching a different way.

Just get a couple old working HDD's and your OSs and install them onto the drive. Swap out as you want to work with the OS. This will be the quickest/easiest fix if you want to work with other OSs.
    Plantwiz
    _____