Options

real ISDN hardware..... help

macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
What hardware(including cables) we need to practice real ISDN connection apart from NT1, routers with bri ports and ISDN connection ?.

I have a couple of old NT1's lyinaround, couple of 2 pair and single pair cables, some old 2510 routers and oh... one ISDN modem... somewhere.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    Unless you want to learn for future knowledge, I wouldn't bother. The CCNA barely asks anything on ISDN. ISDN stuff was actually dropped from CCIE Security, and I have yet to come across it with my CCSP studying.
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Are you trying to practice in your home lab? Anyway, I use an ISDN simulator to practice isdn connections for my studies. It's not a software simulator like Boson but it's a piece of hardware that simulates the telco, If you type ISDN SIMULATOR on ebay you'll find what you're looking for :D:D
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    macwhizardmacwhizard Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dissolved wrote:
    Unless you want to learn for future knowledge, I wouldn't bother. The CCNA barely asks anything on ISDN. ISDN stuff was actually dropped from CCIE Security, and I have yet to come across it with my CCSP studying.

wow, that was fast....

I don't care if is dropped...... yes, want to learn and make use of it in the REAL World. :)
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    macwhizard wrote:
    dissolved wrote:

wow, that was fast....

I don't care if is dropped...... yes, want to learn and make use of it in the REAL World. :)

Don't know how much you would use it in a production environment, unless you plan to work for the state government or somewhere else where money is an object icon_lol.gif . ISDN used to be really widely used, but I honestly have yet to come across it in any of the environments I've worked in

Have fun
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/cbook/cisdn.htm
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ISDN is only ever used for Video Conferencing, a backup link if a primary link (ADSL, SDSL, IP Clear etc) fails or if ADSL is not available at the telephone exchange as an alternative connectivity method (small usage site). It costs loads for rental and charges and is slow for data links......whats the point!

We are looking at scrapping our ISDN backup links at my work and replacing with 0.5 ADSL backup as 10 users on a small site running on an 128K ISDN backup link is a waste of time if you ask me even if "at least it's something if their main link goes down" Bull! 30 - 40 mins for users to login!

Cisco should remove it for next revision of the exam if you ask me!
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    It's being removed from the CCNP after the revision this January.