Options

Getting burned out from work

DixieWreckedDixieWrecked Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Maybe some can relate. I've been a security engineer for about 3 years. When I first started here, it was great. Nothing but vulnerability assessments and traffic analysis (my strong point). Very little paperwork.

Now (a year later) I find myself doing less hands on and MORE paperwork. This consists of writing technical documents for our customers, industry best practices etc. I've been stuck doing this about a year and it SUCKS.

The money is good, as are the people (especially my boss) and the atmosphere. But I find myself being less productive these past few months, mainly because the work just sucks. I feel bad I'm kind of slacking off on the job, but everyone keeps thinking I'm doing a great job. We are doing very well here and have grown tremendously since I've been here. I just feel like my skillset is being wasted on paper pushing. I feel like I'm being pigeon holed, but no one else can do the work. I'm the only security guy in the entire company.

Is it time to move on?

Comments

• Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like everything else about your job rocks. Couldn't you talk to your boss about this and see if theres another position you could move into?
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not time to move on just yet, if everything else is still good. It is time to diversify. Request that you get more hands-on to stay current and relevant in your field so your paperwork will reflect real-world stuff and not last year's best practices. See if you can do a week or two "in the trenches" every month.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Every job has things that can 'suck' from time to time. Be happy you have a job. You can start looking for something else, but 3 years at one place is hardly any time at all. I'd stick it out a bit more, sounds like you've got it pretty good overall, just a little rut at the moment.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it sounds to me you have about out grown your current position and need more of a challenge. i think (from my own experience) that its time to learn something new to do at your current gig or look else where. the challenges drive us to be sharp and to reach being the best . But if you feel that your rusting then you probably are

icon_silent.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Is there no opportunity for promotion, or to move into another department?
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Hire a lackey. Split the work.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Depends.
    Meet with your boss and discuss what the future of your position will entail.
    Make sure you get a position description and performance standards.
    Make sure they jive with what your boss has told you.
    Definitely keep working on picking up new skills, both technical and administrative. Use your knowledge and experience to move toward a career that you want. You may not get it at this company or even your next job. Set career goals.
    I've found that good paychecks rarely make up for lousy jobs. It simply prolongs my decision to leave.
    Good luck.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    DixieWreckedDixieWrecked Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the responses.
    There is no other position here for me to move into. It's a medical company and only one security job. They have one network admin on site here, he's a complete idiot, if it weren't for plug and play switches, our network wouldn't be up.

There is no cisco here at all. Part of me says to stay since I have a mortgage and car payment. Other part of me is saying look for another job. But the atmosphere is so relaxed here. You can wear jeans, have facial hair, flex time. I also get $5k worth of training every year which I use for SANs or other security training.

I make pretty decent money, but it really is not what I should be making. I asked for a raise and I'm supposed to meet with my boss soon. If I don't get the raise, I will have no choice but to move on, as money is tight enough living on my own.

I have been furthering my education and I try to set stuff up at home.

I welcome anymore comments