Options

Taking the core part on Friday - looking for some feedback.

dmbfanatpsudmbfanatpsu Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the core part this Friday. I don't really have that much "hardcore" experience in hardware, my experience has all been in networking and OS. Anyways below is what I have down to a science:
POST error codes
ISA, EISA, PCI
EDI
PATA/SATA
IRQ's
I know what CPU types go in - Slot I, II, A, Socket 8, A, 370, 423, 478
SCSI
Difference's between AT, ATX
USB
Firewire
Printers
CMOS
Customer service

I'm a little shaky on stuff like:
SIMM, DIMM, SODIMM, etc...
VGA, SVGA, etc..
Monitors
and knowing all the different specs on the Pentium processers

Does anyone have any feedback on my current situation?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Postpone your exam and schedule it for a time when you are ready.

The best way to learn this material and be an asset to your employer and the clients you work with is to learn this stuff by doing it and not memorizing.

If it takes you another month....so what? If it takes you 3 months or 6 months....so what?

You can make flash cards and cram all you want and 'get' it by Friday. If you really want to know it....Postpone and start working with the hardware and it won't be a mystery.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I do respect your feedback, and in most cases I would agree with you. In my partictualar situation though, I currently don't have the opportunity nor am I looking for the opportunity to be work specifically with just hardware. At my current job, I'm more on the network\OS\mngt side of IT. I'm really just taking the A+ to round out my credentials.
    Now when it comes to the OS side of the A+, I won't really have to "just memorize" like I"m doing for the core side because I've got plenty of exposure to that side of IT.
  • Options
    Well, (IMNSHO) there is little point to merely collect certifications.
    I know and work with several people who have never taken the A+ and due to their interests and talents in IT....just won't need it.

I would still recommend if you want to understand that material you stated was a bit of a struggle that you postpone and learn it. Working with it some (even in a practice lab setting) will give you a leg up on the exam when the time comes.

If you're set on taking it this week, then I'd recommend memorizing the facts and hope for the best. Though, as someone who has worked with hardware for 20+ years....it's not what I recommend for a piece of paper.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Red Sox FanRed Sox Fan Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok my question is this...what if you don't have a spare-parts computer to play with? What would you guys suggest. I mean I have installed RAM and NIC cards to my computer, but what does anyone have any ideas on how I could get more hands on opportunities?
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went to craigslist and got a bunch of free computer stuff by just asking for it to study with.
  • Options
    Well, just to be clear on one thing....I have torn down and rebuilt a few PC's. I've also done some repairs\customer service on monitors and printers.
    What my concern was how in depth does the core exam go into? I mean, do you have to know all the different pins, speeds, etc for every possible socket, slot, CPU, memory type, etc....Is it necessary to know what each of the different colored wires coming from the power supply do, etc....

What I'm trying to figure out is how in-depth detailed can the A+ exam get?
  • Options
    Well, just to be clear on one thing....I have torn down and rebuilt a few PC's. I've also done some repairs\customer service on monitors and printers.
    What my concern was how in depth does the core exam go into? I mean, do you have to know all the different pins, speeds, etc for every possible socket, slot, CPU, memory type, etc....Is it necessary to know what each of the different colored wires coming from the power supply do, etc....

What I'm trying to figure out is how in-depth detailed can the A+ exam get?

You should be familar with the voltages on the power supply, but I really doubt you'll need to know which color carries which voltage.

Listen,
    Based on the fact you've already scheduled the exam, I'm guessing you wouldn't have signed-up if you didn't actually think you'd pass. At this point if you don't know it, you won't. You may gain a little from some review, but to cram it all in for the sake of passing and having an A+ is just silly.

As far as depth? I think the A+ is pretty on the surface. Considering its a teir 1-type tech exam...it's very easy if you work on computers. If you don't, then it may seem more intermediate, but I cannot think of anyone who thought the exam was difficult.

As with other exams, it's a fair exam and there are no tricks. You know it or you don't. You get 90 minutes and 100 questions and need the lowest passing score of all the other certificate exams. Take your time and you'll probably do well.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Thank's Plantwiz....you summed it up for me. I guess I was just getting a little nervous like I do before I take any kind of test. I'll update tomarrow AM after I take my test.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I passed thanks for everyone's feedback and help.
  • Options
    Good work! :)
    Plantwiz
    _____