Options

How to get a IT Trainee Job position with CCNA ???

RuniuRuniu Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've just moved to London and I'm looking for a job in IT sector.
I've passed CCNA few days ago.
What should I do to get this kind of job ???

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I don't live in London, but if you don't have experience, it may be tough, CCNA or not.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    Runiu, what kind of experience do you have in the IT field? A certification is just a piece of paper saying that you passed a test.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    I don't have a lot of experience...6 months in pc repair, building simple LAN etc.
    I know it's hard to get a job without experience but there must be way to get a trainee job and to gain experience...
  • Options
    You'll probably have to follow trend, and start in some sort of a support role, and move your way up....
  • Options
    But it's very hard to start...

Does anyone know where I can search for trainee job in London??
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Try local telco's and ISP's... You may be able to find a /careers off their main site.

Some places may hire you or you may even try for an internship...
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    lungsuckerlungsucker Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If a certification is just a piece of paper, why even bother studying your tail off for months. I will soon be in the same boat. I have been nonstop studying the last year and a half to get a few certs so that i could stand out a little when i graduate. If it wont mean anything , why waste your time
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lungsucker wrote:
    If a certification is just a piece of paper, why even bother studying your tail off for months. I will soon be in the same boat. I have been nonstop studying the last year and a half to get a few certs so that i could stand out a little when i graduate. If it wont mean anything , why waste your time

I think i all depends on how you get certified,if you really understand everything the cert will increase your chances.These certs are not really a door opener for someone without experience, they are more for the person who works with the technology day in day out to prove competency.If you are studying cisco and have a home lab to play with, this is experience in my book.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Trailerisf wrote:
    Try local telco's and ISP's... You may be able to find a /careers off their main site.

Some places may hire you or you may even try for an internship...

I'm new to London...does anyone know any telco's or ISP where I can try ?
  • Options
    Throughout your career, you'll hear the word, No, quite often. Start looking at some job postings for the London area. I typed "london ccna jobs" @ Yahoo, and got these results. Start applying for entry level jobs and internships if you can find them. As Ed mentioned, if you can get your hands on some equipment, you can mention your practice lab, which can count as some experience during any interviews. It won't be easy, but IT is supposed to be a challenge. That's what makes it rewarding; being able to do something, and do it well; and knowing that you worked hard for it. Remember the worst any potential employer can say is, No. If you have some formal education, that helps too. Don't forget, you'll want to have a good resume/CV as well.
  • Options
    lungsucker wrote:

I never said that they wouldn't mean anything. If I thought they were worthless, I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time trying to get certified. I did say that they are just a piece of paper. I have 12 years professional IT experience, and I am looking to go back to school to finish my 4 year degree, and regret not getting certifications sooner.

In fact, I am very much an advocate of certifications. They show that you understand the material, but they prove nothing about your ability to apply that material in a real world setting (see "Paper MCSE"). A degree and certifications with no experience does not prove that you can run a network - especially a large, complicated network. Would you want hand your multi-million dollar network over to a unexperienced PhD with 10 certifications, or a highly experienced, proven network administrator with no certifications who has run multi-million dollar networks?

Be careful not to make your certifications your best selling point. A degree and certifications do show that you are motivated and can be taught which is where you will stand out above anyone else applying for a job.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I do agree witht he above post, but that experienced person without the degree or certifications was given a chance sometime during their career to attain that experience. They didn't just come out of their mother's womb with the knowledge to do the job. In fact...someone without a degree or certifications was given MUCH favor to run a network without some type of educational/certification backing. When I hear the term "Paper MCSE," I think of those who study the exact exams by using various **** or cheating, attaining their certifications, but never learning the material. That is what a Paper Certifier is to ME.

Many people who have the experience often say that you won't do this or get that without the experience, but they fail to realize or remember that they were once inexperienced, but someone gave them a chance. You can work a Help Desk, all the way up to Tier 3, but that still doesn't tell the employer that you can run a multi-million dollar network. The degree and certifications will get you in the door, but it is up to you to learn and adapt fast, so you can stay in inside. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    Could people with experience tell me how they get their first it experience, first job in IT etc.
  • Options
    Runiu wrote:
    Could people with experience tell me how they get their first it experience, first job in IT etc.

The tech school where I was a student had a very good placement service. Many of us interviewed for a large reseller/integrator (the now defunct MicroAge) who came to campus to interview for new employees. They hired 5 out of my graduating class.

I started on the projects line. Our team only did one bank. Back in 1994, computers didn't come with network cards. We added RAM, network cards, installed massive 500 megabyte hard drives, and installed the bank's image on those drives.

I was ok starting on the line for $6.50 an hour. I knew that I had no experience. I learned everything I could and always looked for chances to move up. Once when I moved shifts my new manager asked me a question, I was still getting used to the new sleep schedule, so I answer that I didn't know. He looked at me surprised and told me that the old manager said that I was his 'go to guy'. I was shocked and flattered. I found out the answer to the first shift manager's question.

My dream was to work from the project team to Team A. They never knew what was coming through the door next. They could also QC their own work. It took me 9 months, but I made it. Not long after that I worked my way to the On Hold Team. There were just two of us. Our job was to resolve stopped orders. We would have to find the problems, teach techs who may not have understood why systems didn't work, or call vendors and resolve hardware issues.

Take what you can at first and stay focused on what you are doing. I never talked about what I was going to do next. I wanted to move up, so I worked hard where I was. I never had to explain why a manager should move me up. When something opened, it wasn't unusual to be asked if I wanted to move up. I also had to be extremely political. Not only did I have to deal with managers, but my peers, many of whom were my friends, and I ended up getting promoted over. It bugged one of them in particular who was more experienced than me. But, he was the kind of guy who just showed up and worked when he felt like it, but never slacked enough to get fired. Your bosses want to know that they can count on you. At my 3rd job, just after 3 years in the IT field, I was hired as a senior technician. My boss told me flat out that it wasn't because of my technical skill, it was because he could count on me, and he could put me in front of any customer.

Never forget that your experience, education, and certifications are only part of your overall picture as an employee. Many bosses would rather hire less experienced employees with solid work ethics over more experience once with more shady work ethics. You can and will be trained to do your specific job, but teaching a good work ethic to someone without one is nearly impossible.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Well...after I graduated college late 2005, I went into programming for one month. Programming was easy to get into because that is what I learned mostly in college and most employers hire those right out of college to do some sort of programming. It's usually either a high paying job doing programming, or low paying job doing Help Desk. Help Desk would be tough because most traditional colleges just don't teach that sort of stuff...but anyway. After a month, a Supervisory position for the Tier2 Help Desk came open which was a contract for the same company I worked for. I applied, and two interviews later, I had the job. Although I didn't have the experience, I impressed them at the interview and showed them I had a "Can Do" attitude and the fact that I had a degree didn't hurt either. I then began studying for the certifications because I found that in the field I wanted to go into, I was getting overlooked because one, I didn't have experience, and two, I didn't have certifications stating I could do the systems/network administration/engineering.I kept applying and updating my resume thorughout the certification process. I was making VERY good money doing the Help desk thing, but that wasn't what I wanted to do for a career. I studied hard, so I could get the material and not just attain the certifications. Well...I started getting interviews and offers nationwide. Some even flew me in. Some were alright, and some were just not worth relocating for. I applied for a Systems administrator position, and I had a few interviews. They calling me back for more interviews. The interviews were long (about 2 hours each), and they asked a mixture of technical and situational questions. I nailed eachone, giving exact and detailed answers about how I would do something. If I didn't know it, I simply said that I didn't know, but I could find the answer. I ddn't waste their time. after each answer, I reminded them that this was just book and home lab knowledge and nothing I've done in my work experience. They believe that I actually get the material, and trust that I will be able to come in and adjust fast. I got the job...one year of real I.T. experience, a degree and some certs. The Director did point out that he was concerned with the experience factor, but he had faith that I could apply what I know to the job, and learn fast. In this position, it is more than just knowing Windows Server, there are many custom applications and third part solutions that I will have to pick up and learn fast. That's any job unless you are with a big company and you have a specific role for example AD admin, or DNS admin, or Exchange Server Admin, etc. I just went in there and convinced them that I could do the job and would work hard. The rest is yet to be written. I plan on staying this this employer for a little while. We will be building a new datacenter from ground up in the next couple of years since we are growing like crazy. We always stay up to date and keep the various departments with the best technology to make their job easier and more efficient.

That's how I am starting out with not much experience. You just have to find someone that will give you a shot to gain that experience and make sure when they do give you that shot, don't make them regret it. Study hard, practice the material, know the material, and be ready to take on any new challenges.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go to www.jobserve.co.uk, filter so only "IT" is ticked and search for

(support) and London

There are thousands of contracts in London short and long for entry level right up to the top IT experts. Obviously depends on your needs but if I was in your shoes and had little experience, then I would still look for and not accept any less than £10 p/h on a contract desktop support role in London to get some experience in the city.

It is an extortionate place to live/work. It is hard to get into Cisco/Comms etc but you may want to try getting a helpdesk role in an ISP as this is the easiest way in. Beware that you are probably going to have to be prepared to work on a 24 x 7 shift rota basis for Helpdesk work in an ISP/comms.

You have more chance getting your foot in the door in London though than anywhere else due to the demand.

www.Jobserve.co.uk
    www.cwjobs.co.uk
    www.theitjobboard.co.uk

are 3 main UK recruitment websites for IT staff.

I started off voluntary at my university for 6 months
    Landed a job on the helpdesk in a UK construction company
    Trainee IT Engineer
    IT Engineer
    Field Service Engineer (Server, desktop, network)
    Network Engineer

Hope this helps

Good luck
  • Options
    lungsuckerlungsucker Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didnt mean to get anything started here guys. Wanted to thank the people who posted on what they did to get a job. It really helps and gives encouragement. Also thanks to the person who is helping the guy in london find a job. later. tom
  • Options
    Thanks for response 4all :)

I have a new idea...I know it would be very very hard to get a Trainee job...so maybe I should try to work somewhere for free...few hours a day...just to gain some experience and to show what I've learned...
    What do you think about this??
    Is it possible to go to some local ISP's and ask for that opportunity???

P.S.
    Sorry for my english...I'm still learning...;)