Options

Behavioral/Situational interview

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
Alright so I have an interview this Monday with a company called Emdeon in Nashville. The position is a Network Control Technician 1. So it's like tier-1 level support. I have an Associate degree(GPA3.94) in computer network systems and a Net+ cert. I am also still in a bachelor program called Data Communications Technology and have a year left. I got the heads up from the HR lady that it would be mostly a Behavioral/Situational interview where I had to use the STAR(situation,Task,application,result) format of answering the questions. I heard about the position through career services at my school. Anyways I was wondering if anyone here who is a hiring manager or has had a technical and behavioral interview remember anything that could help me prepare?

Required skills for the job are T1,ISDN,Frame-relay, TCP/IP communication including HTTP,DNS,DHCP and port level monitoring. I'm pretty comfortable with all of those subjects.
Anyways, any input would be appreciated. icon_wink.gif
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• Options
    tianweitianwei Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,what is the result? have u got that job ?
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    In my last interview, I was asked a bunch of questions like describe a time in your past, when you implemented or designed a new process to better your companies mission...something like that. I described the problem, I described what I recommeded, how I implemented, and the results of the implementation. I also got asked other questions like...describe a time when you disagreed with a decision made by your supervisor. I went through the same process of answering it.

I'm not sure how the interviewer will use this, but I was also asked a few questions where the interviewer gave me a situation and asked me how I would handle it pretty much. This was strictly impromptu and it had to come from thinking right on the spot. I used the same format, but I described what I would do, how I would implement it, and if I knew that exact results, I stated what should happen, but if I didn't, I just stopped at the implementation and assumed that the interviewer figured that it would solve the problem. It all depended on the question...prioritizing, network problems, security threats, server optimization, private IP addressing to public addressing, etc. this all spanned over three interviews though icon_eek.gif .

That's my experience with theinterview process regarding what you are specifying. I hope that I helped since my interviewer didn't tell me that it was a STAR type interviewing, but I'm thinking it was kind of mixed in all together whether they knew it or not.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the interview tomorrow. I'm just trying to prepare now. Thanks Famos that helps. Did you get that job? what was the job title? I guess all I can do it write sample questions and my responses and try to become familier with how I would respond. thanks
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Not a problem...jsut go into the interview, be yourself, and think fast, but not too fast icon_wink.gif .

The job title was Systems Administrator, and yes, I got the job!!

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)