Options

Pay for own criminal background check?!

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
What the (expletive deleted)?

Job ad in paper for a state run school. At the bottom it says, "The selected applicant will be required to apply for a criminal background check, at their own expense."

I've never heard of that before, has anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Yeah... they obviously want you to come with it when applying for the job.

If they are cheaping out on short-list candidates, imagine what your benefit package is gonna look like...
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Definately sounds fishy to me. If I were you, I'd run the company by the Better Business Bureau to see if they're on the up-and-up.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    It's not a company, it's a school, run by the state. I'm not going to apply, I'm sure I'm not qualified. If I were qualified, I don't think I would apply anyway, because of that.

It's the Maryland School for the Deaf, in case anyone want's to know.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Normally,I would be extremely skeptical of this. I would have bet it was a scam. However, the Maryland School for the Deaf is legitimate. It is still a strange policy. I am sure the have no budget. Working there would certainly be a challenge.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    RavenSpawnRavenSpawn Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pretty much every employer does a background check. While most of them request and pay for it themselves, some will have the selected applicant pay but would reimburse afterwards. One of the place I had an interview for mentioned that I would have to request the background check and I would be reimbursed after. In your case, if its a job that you would like, apply for it and ask if you'd be reimbursed if selected.
  • Options
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    State run schools here in the USA are notoriously underfunded, and it may be a way of saving some money. However, I wonder how many applicants will actually make it to the interview round where it's time to actually do a background check. It may also be a way to deter people from applying who aren't very serious about taking the job itself.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    If I didn't recently get a Systems Administrator job, I would apply for that. I am looking to move back to the Maryland/D.C./Virginia area. Thanks for the link :D .

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I say you go interview....just be sure to charge them a consulting fee for your time in the interview.