Options

autoexec.bat and...

manrick777manrick777 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, I did asked this question before and I tried to make a search on this site but no success. Is anyone could help me to understand in simply english a little description of:

IO.SYS
CONFIG.SYS
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
SYSTEM.INI
BOOT.INI

I have been trying to read about those, but it's always a very technical explanation. No need to write a 30 lines text for each one of them, but something simply that can help me to understand better about them, and what is their role. If you also have any good place I can read about them, something easy to understand, please send it to me.

Sincerly
Eric

Comments

• Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well in 9x IO.sys is your basic input/output to the processor so its the most basic file for the CPU. Config.sys is mostly a DOS thing although its in 9x. It would let you load drivers every time you booted. Autoexec.bat loads programs and settings you want to happen every time. Like if you install AIM and it shows up in your task bar every time you turn on your computer. Its the same idea. Command.com is what understands dos commands. when you type CD C:\dos command.com is what understands that. System.ini is mostly a win3.x file similar to config.sys. Boot.ini is used in 2k/NT and it controls dual booting systems.

If I got any of that wrong feel free to corect me anyone.
  • Options
    manrick777manrick777 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you very much, it does help me a bit. Also is the comptia exam will ask me tons of questions related to those? If yes should I just know the definition that you gave me and I should be in business?

Thank you
    Eric
  • Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know I plan on taking my OS next week (passed core) but because of the new linear format there is a good chance you will get asked questions about them. But a basic idea of what they do and some common sense you could figure out the questions.
  • Options
    lobomnmlobomnm Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    io.sys- input/output devices
    msdod.sys- loads the os
    command.com- commands
    config.sys- loads devices drivers
    autoexec.bat- automatically excutes applications