Options

UTP wiring

topstartopstar Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all
I am currently working from the ccna companion guide and am having a few problems understanding a couple of things, and would like some help please.

1… In half-duplex Ethernet if wires 1+2 are used for sending and wires 3+6 for receiving the dada. If pc1 sends data on wires 1+2 pc2 will receive the data on wires 1+2(on a straight through cable ) in a hub environment what is the need for the wires 3+6 in half-duplex as a pc cannot send and receive at the same time. Would it be if pc2 wants to replay to pc1 it sends its replay on wires 3+6 or does it send its replay on wires 1+2 after pc1 is finished. I have read the book but am finding it hard to clarify this also in full-duplex using a switch if pc1 opens a connection with pc2 does it use the one wire pair to do all this leaving its other wire pair free to receive data from another pc.

2… I know the 5-4-3 rule for hubs and repeaters i.e... 5 network segments, 4 repeaters and only 3 network segments can be populated does this leave the other two network segments as link segments and if so would someone please explain the proper definition of a link segment.

Any help would be welcome
Many thanks
Stephen

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    topstar wrote:
    If pc1 sends data on wires 1+2 pc2 will receive the data on wires 1+2(on a straight through cable )

If two PCs are connected "back-to-back" then you'd use a cross-over cable, and PC 1 sends on 1&2 and PC2 receives on 3&6.

When you use a straight through cable to a hub or switch -- the port on the hub receives it on 1&2 -- but then it sends it out on 3&6 to the receiving PC (if the PC is on the same hub/switch).

Network Segments where just discussed in the STP and LAN segments thread
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!