Options

How long did you wait to get your first IT Entry Level job?

Just need some stats regarding the waiting period to get your first IT entry level job... coz ive been applying for the IT job within the past 3 months and eventually having at least 5 interviews but still not successful of getting the job. Probably sent out more than 30 resume for the past 3 months and still no luck. Im only sending application within my area Charleston,South Carolina not yet ready to relocate.

thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm only posting to say I'm interested in hearing how long it took people to get their first job as well and what that job was. I'm A+ and taking network+ in like 3 weeks or so. i really want a job I can handle and not get their on my first day and just be overwhelmed.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Applied for first job with just an A+ at 17 years old. Managed to get a help desk position as an intern for 8.00hr. I was called back after two weeks to let me know that I had gotten the position. After 2 months I was a regular employee making 15hr, and then after a year I became a Helpdesk II and worked my way up to a Network Analyst in just 2 years time. Huge pay scale increase and great opportunity.

Keep at it. You will get hired as long as you are motivated.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I was a restaurant manager for many years before I started tech school. An instructor recommended me for a job that got me started. I turned in my notice to the restaurant and took the job. It was for half the pay but I knew I needed a way in. After a year, I took another job that pays me more than I was making in the restaurant including my bonuses. The jobs are there. They seem to come in streaks. I could go weeks without hearing anything, then out of the blue, I have four or five companies that want to interview me. It will happen, especially if you take your first job as a stepping stone.

Zenzen,

Don't worry about not knowing anything when you get to your first day. It doesn't matter how much you know before you get there. Each company is different. What you read in books is general knowledge not what the company wants you to know. They expect to have to show you everything for a while. As long as you are willing to work, ask questions, don't ask the same questions over and over, and put forth some effort you will be fine.

Good luck to both of you
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    My tech school had a good placement service. Many of us interviewed before graduation. I graduated on a Friday and started work the following Monday. Does your school have placement services or are you just changing careers after getting certified?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My first IT job was my freshman year of college, 19 years old. It was a T1 helpdesk job and I didn't really have any certs or college experience yet. At that time I'd grown up using computers and knew my way around Windows really well. Helpdesk is a great starting point for alot of people. Keep looking and good luck!
  • Options
    jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    The reason i ask is because im changing career from office type of work to IT , I also got my certification for A+ and Network+ and eventaully go into Microsoft side of certification.

The school that i went to doesnt have a placement service but they said will assist until now nothing has come up with them..I was a little bit disappointed.
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My first IT job took about 6 weeks to find through an agency and was as an Accountant. Well OK, that's how it started. Then I found myself solving more IT problems than reconciling statements, hence I got moved to IT Manager 2 years ago, still here. Accounting - what was I thinking... icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    The reason i ask is because im changing career from office type of work to IT , I also got my certification for A+ and Network+ and eventaully go into Microsoft side of certification.

You may want to consider an employment service like manpower or a local service that doesn't charge you a fee.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Do places like manpower actually give you temp to hire or just contract positions?
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    BigTone wrote:
    Do places like manpower actually give you temp to hire or just contract positions?

99 % they are contracts.

I just landed a good job, but it was not until after I had played the "head hunter" game. They will have you fill out a ton of forms and go on mock interviews but at the end of the day it is a contract.

Your experiences my vary but around here if you take a contract gig, you will be looking for another contract after it expires. It is rare that they hire anyone from contracts.

But it all depends on your location and the position you are going after.

Your best bet is to contact the companies direct - cut out the middle man.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    A fellow in one of my classes recommended me for a position with his company. I interviewed and they hired me three months prior to graduation. I have been with them for 21 years now. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    arnevikmarnevikm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how many would consider it an actual "IT" job, but I got on with a cable ISP with no effort at all. It's pretty much a fluff job while I finish school. You become very familiar with Windows 98-XP and tcp/ip, dhcp, and connectivity issues. Not a bad gig though and something to put on a resume. At least I'm troubleshooting PC's.
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A fellow in one of my classes recommended me for a position with his company. I interviewed and they hired me three months prior to graduation. I have been with them for 21 years now. icon_cool.gif

If said fellow ever goes back to school, let me know where and what classes he's taking. I'll enroll. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    PaddingtonPaddington Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took me 1,5 years before i got my first job after school.
    Got into a small project rollin out win xp, 1 month job.
    Then got lucky and landed a real good job at a big company running windows servers. Been here 1 month now.
    I dont have any certs yet.
    Paddington.jpg