Options

Static Reserved

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Everyone

Can anyone explain the advantages and disadvantages of using static reserved ip instead of either using static or dhcp, i would prefer to use dhcp all the way but in my new job this is how its done.

static reserved is dhcp but is static to the mac address and assigns the same ip to the mac address i think?

All comments welcome

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    If I understood your question correctly... the benefit is that it's the best of both worlds - it's a static IP (well not really, but for the sake of it) which is good for stuff like servers, but configured centrally at the DHCP console, so it's much easier to keep track of and to make any changes, rather than having to go to each computer to configure the TCP/IP settings and keep track of them.

An example is if you want a certain computer (say a print server) to always have a certain IP address, but you want to be able to manage it centrally with all the other IP addresses. So you reserve that IP for the print server, and it will always get the same IP address. Then if you need to modify some setting, like its IP address, you can do so straight from the DHCP console.
    witty comment
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    how common is this kind of set up, do a lot of organisations do it this way
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Lee H wrote:

We do here at work.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:

We use static ip reservations for everything for security reasons.

The main advantage as omni mentioned is that if you have 25+ servers all with static ips (as opposed to reservations) and you change you dns or wins server for instance, you would have to go and change them all manually or via script. With reservations you only change it in the DHCP scope.
    All things are possible, only believe.