Options

From helpdesk/desktop support to network/system admin

Any ideas on the best way to make the jump from helpdesk/desktop support to net/system admin jobs.

I have not seen many junior level jobs in that area.

Is it better to take a desktop/helpdesk job at a large company and hope they see your potential.

What about IT firms that specialize in the small to medium sized business

I am comfortable doing desktop but its time to move on up the food chain

Just looking for some strategies

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends on where you are. In my area there are lots and lots of jobs advertised for systems and network engineers, as well as helpdesk. I'd say your best bet is to post your resume up on as many job-search boards as you can, look around for any and all jobs advertised, and get crankin' on learning what you need to know for the certs you're interested in earning. All of that will help you find the type of job you're looking for.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    thanks slow hand.... i pretty much have been doing what you suggested
    the atlanta market is tricky you never really know what they are looking for.

there is alot of active directory positions but they want at least 3 years experience

i work for a state agency that keeps everything separate thats why i am looking to move around
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Once you get the knowledge and certification, or you feel that you can do the job, just apply. Don't worry about the experience they prefer. The only thing that they can say is no. If you get the interview, prove you cand o the job, and you will get it. I just made the jump and now I'll be starting as a Systems Admin next week. I had numerous interviews, and they knew I only had Desktop experience. I impressed them and they hired me. About one year of Help Desk experience, but my resume is very detailed on what we had to do...not a normal read your script type of Help Desk :) . But anyway...just apply, and although you don't have the experience, if you feel that you can do the job, go for it!!

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    I apply all the time .. I guess i have to revise my resume again to emphasize the customer service side of my experience. When i began in IT i had certs and no experience now i have experience and old certs
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    List the certs and indicate that you are currently pursuing other certs on your resume. also get your resume out there to monster.com, careerbuilder.com, dice.com, etc., and you will start getting calls. A job will be even easier to find if you are willing to relocate. sometimes you have to just browse theinternet for company's in the area to see if they have anything offered, or just socialize with people because they may have some info too. I was told about the opportunity for the job I have now before it was made public. Of course, a week later, it was on careerbuilder and monster, so i decided to give it a shot.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bridged the gap by starting out with a small consulting shop that did it all... I ended up doing it all (with guidance at first for network and server stuff then was able to work some on my own). After about 3 years I was chosen for a Jr. Systems Admin position with a larger corporation.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am running into the classic problem with no real hands on experience. I am currently working on getting an internship from my school, Im hoping it works out.
  • Options
    After working the rounds of a few of my IT sources. I have discovered there is not a right or wrong way to make the jump from desktop to network administration. There ae some pro's and con's with working within a small IT shop and a large IT shop. The key is finding that person
    to give you a shot. So for the upcoming year I am going to focus on networking and getting out more people in th IT community.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    a great resume is the ticket to an interview, the rest is up to you.
  • Options
    allmightypcallmightypc Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey Rattlerman,

If you want to make the jump it's simple. (as you get older, you'll see how simple things really are).
    1. Build a server at home, 10 times.
    2. Install active directory, 10 times.
    3. Join 2 computers to the domain...
    4. set up the server as a file server, explore it until it breaks.
    5. set up the server as an exchange server, explore it.
    You can download server2003, exchangeserver, ect. for test purposes from microsoft. Here is an example for 2003Server:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx
    Here you can download server2003 for a trial run. What better way to learn? you can eat pizza and drink a soda while you do this at home.
    You just have to get very familiar with Microsofts' websites.
    6. Download the "best practices" for all the server software you want to learn. It's all free from Microsoft. They WANT you to use their products!
    6. Build your home network, beat it up, troubleshoot it. try to break it, figure it out! Infect yourself with spyware and virii, practice cleaning it up. Learn how to set up Exchange.
    7. Try and Master something (i.e.Exchange) after you get the basics of "How it's All Suppose to Work". Without knowing how it is suppose to work, one will never know where to begin troubleshooting.
    8. Then when you go for an interview, You say, "I know how to make 'em talk to each other". That's all networking is, talking via protocols. After you're comfortable at home then you won't be so nervous at a new job.
    9. Stay positive, because whether you think you can or cannot, you're right.
    Good luck!
    p.s. If you enjoy your work, then it's not work anymore.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!