Options

Degree help?

Im not wayneIm not wayne Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently have my A+, Net+ I am going to go for more certs but I wish to have some sort of degree. I am confused with what the colleges here offer such degrees as "Information Technology Degree Option A.A.S.

Information Technology Support Degree Option A.A.S.

Network Technology Degree LAN Option A.A.S

Network Technology Degree MCSA Option A.A.S.

Network Technology Degree Cisco Option A.A.S"

I'm not exactly sure what I should focus in on and if I could turn an A.A.S into a full A.A?
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

70-270- Book in progress
70-290- coming soon
70-291- coming soon
70-293- coming soon
70-294- coming soon

Comments

• Options
    arnevikmarnevikm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I studied on that very question for quite a long time. As a general rule, you will not be able to transfer an A.A.S to a 4 year university. You will not be even close to fulfilling your Gen Ed requirements. So after two years for AAS you'd be looking at a minimum of 3 more for a bachelors. IMO you will be much better off getting your AA if you think there is any chance you'll continue your education. The AAS will help you find employment, but the bachelors will be a lot more meaningful when looking at senior positions down the road. I decided to go the full four years and am currently working toward a degree in CIS. I really wish there was a nearby school that offered a BS with an emphasis on networking, but it's just not to be. So it's CIS, with a minor in business, and CISCO on my own time.
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is what I did.

I researched the college I wanted to get my 4 year degree from. Then I went to their transfers program and found what schools they accepted credit from. I found out they took credit from my local community college so I completed my classes they wanted for gen ed there and then moved those towards my 4 year degree.

BIG PLUS-

I just found out a month ago that A LOT of states offer free "vocational rehabiliation" for anyone who is a resident of the state. At these classes you get free classes on anything from a+ all the way up to ccnp. I know for a face San Diego has a great VocRehab program. If you tell me the city your in I'll talk to my TAP instructor and ask him about it for you.

-Phil

(Save that money use the free stuff)
  • Options
    arnevikmarnevikm Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I second the free money thing. Hit up financial aid where ever you end up. The US Gov't is covering a large chunk of my schooling.