Options

Bosun Netsim for CCNP - traffic

KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
When you set up a network with this, does anyone know a way of pushing traffic at the network short of sending pings accross.

I am hoping to practice my routing and access lists study with it and I am looking for a way to fire all sorts of traffic at it to try and resemble something close to real world. (I have no access to work routers and even if I did I don't think I would be allowed to practice on them.

Anyone have any idea of a way to fire traffic at this ? or how you have tested these things when you were using it ?

thanks in advance
Kam.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best way to get traffic passing over boston simulator is by throwing the cd out the window of your car while driving on the motorway.You can test acl with ping and thats it.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    rats!
    <Knowing what my local council is like I would get fined for littering for throwing the cd out too icon_sad.gif >

Are there any other sims around with built in traffic generators built in or are they all like Bosun ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
  • Options
    loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer 4.0 doesn't have all the features of a sim like boson. But, as the name implies is more focused in tracing traffic:
    You can chose a predesigned packet for the next applications: DNS, FINGER, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, NETBIOS, PING, POP3, SFTP, SNMP, SMTP, SSH, TELNET, TFTP.
    Or you can choose the "OTHER" option and use your own destination and source ports. You can define TTL and whether the packet will be periodic or one shot (you can specify the interval in seconds or the time at which you want the one shot packet to be sent).
    Once you created the packets you can see them make their way to the destination. You can follow the changes in the different headers as it moves from one device to another. You can see the packet's different information in a OSI layer based diagram so you can See how the headers change or don't change as the packet moves, or you can see the different headers directly (depending on the situation you can See what the ethernet (or hdlc), ip and tcp/udp headers have in each field)
    I find it a very useful tool for learning and troubleshooting (simulating the scenario in the program).
    although it lacks many features as a sim it has many other functionalities that make it quite handy.
    cheers