Options

WSUS and bandwidth

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
hi everyone

I'm wondering how much will installnig a WSUS server to do all the updates from improve our bandwidth we have a T1 lkine but peopel constantly compalni that things are slow we are throttling the bandwidth because we are donig site to site VPN's and have opened up the bandwidth as much as possiable to still allow the site-to-site VPN"s to work well.

right now I'm looking for anytihng to help us get more bandwidth and would like to have WSUS setup as well so if I can kill 2 birds with one stone I'd be happy.

anyone konw if it will really improve things??

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well you can manually synchronize WSUS and even better, you can have it synchronize at night when people aren't using the T1 lines during business hours. That way, the next day you can approve whatever updates you want, and then the group policy WSUS configuration will configure how your clients will download off of the WSUS server.

Also, you could use ISA server for caching which will also help quite a bit with reducing WAN link utilization.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks