Options

About a study guide book!

TKALTKAL Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Am a new member and am going to take the A+ core hardware exam in december/06 and the software in jan/07. I have been using the book that u can see on the URL below:

http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/getbook.php?isbn=0072227664&template=

Is anyone has ever used that book? And is it enough to get ready for the exams? If not, Plz suggest me something else i can do to be ready for the core hardware & OS exams.

Thx.

[/url]

Comments

• Options
    Posse1Posse1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 2003 A+ cert format ends Dec '06. Don't waste the money or time taking the Hardware exam, because unless you finish both by Dec 31st you'll loose credit for that. Check out the Comptia website ( comptia.org ) to see the guidelines for the new test.
    Basically, the Hardware and the OS exams are now one (A+ Essentials) and you have to take another exam depending on what you plan to do with your certification.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Posse1Posse1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oops...

Didn't notice you were in the UK. I think you have until Feb or March.

Carry on.
  • Options
    I know about the new exam objectives, i just wanna know if the book (The url is on the first post message) am using is enough for the exam, and if not what else can i use to get ready for the exam ??

Thx!
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have not used that book so I cannot comment on if that one is enough, but I did use this one and I thought it was very good(you generally should use more than 1 source anyway, take advantage of the technotes here as well it can only help you)

http://www.amazon.com/Certification-All-One-Exam-Guide/dp/0072229918/sr=8-8/qid=1163805081/ref=sr_1_8/102-5901857-3545702?ie=UTF8&s=books

make sure there isn't a newer edition but I think most will agree this one is good
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've not reviewed the book. Historically, McGraw-Hill puts out decent text books, but I've not read on of their IT books.

I'd stick with Meyers or Sybex. Once you read their books you'll likely agree, but I don't think any other publisher has the respect these two companies do for A+.

I'm not saying other books are not as good, but consistantly people recommend these books, as do I, and they are good.

You could try it, but I'd still pickup a second book for reference.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thx for ur advices guys i'll try to get one of these books as supplement...