Options

Day 1 - Networking Newb

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright,

Just passed my Network+ 5 hours ago, and now I am onto CCNA. And after reading the FAQ. I have the following items due by Wednesday
1) Two Cisco 2503 Routers with Console/Power Cables Lastest IOS
2) Cisco Switch 1912 with cables
3) Sybex 5th edition CCNA

I have no experience with Cisco equipment, or any major networking equipment to speak of. Short of small 3-5 node deals back when I worked for the Geek Squad (don't laugh, it paid well).

Is May a reasonable amount of time, given, maybe 5 hours a week of study time, to get certified?

Is there any advantage to taking the two test against, the single test?

I have a few old computers, I was going to setup as the "nodes" in my network. Any tutorials on setting up console access for linux?

Can the routers be setup to take DHCP addresses, to replace my little linksys one? Can they work as DHCP servers for all the computers in my house?

Man, there was something else I wanted to ask, but now I've forgotten. Always the second, you take the time to ask.. ha.

Alright, well. Thanks in advance, I am sure I'll have plenty more.
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    First things first...

For the CCNA drop the 1900 switch - it is no longer covered in the CCNA, and will be little to no help to you.

Look at 29xx switches - they are more expensive, but that is what you need for the test.
  • Options
    ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    I'd set up one of your boxes to be a dhcp server. Linux does that very easily.
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • Options
    What does a 2900 series do that a 1900 series does not?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    deshana wrote:
    Is May a reasonable amount of time, given, maybe 5 hours a week of study time, to get certified?
    Yeah, make sure you review occasionally so you don't forget the stuff you learn early on. You may want to add some lab time on the weekends to reinforce your study.
    deshana wrote:
    Is there any advantage to taking the two test against, the single test?
    If you have problems with the material, the two exam approach lets you "focus" on fewer topics at one time.

The down side -- costs more, more questions, and ICND winds up with more "harder questions" the the single CCNA could have (since about 20% of the CCNA exam is on the easy INTRO material). Oh -- and you have to do subnetting questions twice -- that's one of the "over-lap" areas between INTRO and ICND.
    deshana wrote:
    I have a few old computers, I was going to setup as the "nodes" in my network. Any tutorials on setting up console access for linux?
    Nope -- pick a simple simple communication program for Linux and check out the HOWTOs. Should work fine with a standard Cisco Console Cable if those old computers are PCs.
    deshana wrote:
    Can the routers be setup to take DHCP addresses, to replace my little linksys one? Can they work as DHCP servers for all the computers in my house?
    Yes, and Yes -- but don't when you first start out. You can replace your linksys with a Cisco router -- once you know what you are doing. And yes, you can use a router as a DHCP server -- but you usually don't in real life. So yeah, use a Linux box as a DHCP server. I still access my home CCIE lab remotely by going through my old Linksys router.
    deshana wrote:
    Almost everything switching related that you need to learn for the CCNA.

The 1900s can be a 3rd switch when you are playing with spanning tree or a coaster for a coffee cup (or door stop, book end, boat anchor).

You can use the 1900 for DR/BDR elections when you study OSPF (but a simple hub will work just as well for that).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Think the mentor videos are worth $30? Think they are good enough guide for me along with the Sybex book?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    deshana wrote:

The 1900 isnt all that bad i guess even though i never used one.If i were you i'd get a couple more 2900's preferably 2950s,these will get you through 80%
    of the ccnp,the 1900 supports isl trunking wheras the 2950 supports dot1q.
    Check out dynamips, you could get a good PC run dynamips,connect the 1900 to a router instance setup with isl trunking and the 2900s to other instances with dot1q and Hey Presto you have a nice little network.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$