Options

I have a question about cisco certifications.

I want to take classes for the CCDA (cisco certified Design Associate). I am already a cisco network technican which means I know a lot about cisco crap. My problem is, in order for me to take this test do I have to have a CCNA? I have a certificate of course completion in Cisco networks but I don't have a CCNA. Like I said, do you have to have a CCNA in order totake CCDA?

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco says "CCNA level knowledge is needed to prepare for the CCDA certification exam."

Doesn't sound like a requirement but rather they are suggesting you have at least CCNA level knowledge before attempting CCDA.
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    Cisco says "CCNA level knowledge is needed to prepare for the CCDA certification exam."

Doesn't sound like a requirement but rather they are suggesting you have at least CCNA level knowledge before attempting CCDA.

I have more CCNA knowlege than the average CCNA. I work with cisco routers and switches every single day.

the only reason why I have to get the CCDA is because it has now become a company policy that all cisco network technicians should have a CCDA or CCNP.

The reason why I put CCNA as one of my certificates on my profile is because I tok a 6 month course in a comunity college which focused directly on CCNA but I decided not to take the test since I got a certificate of course completion and also got a job right after completing the course
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats not the same as being cisco certified, take the test and pass it. past that the CCDA is alot like intro to CCNP from the materials i have seen
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    Agreed - you can go to college for four years and that does not mean you automatically have a bachelor's degree :D (nor should you put it on your resume)

Take the test - then you join the club. I'm taking my CCDA after I finish 70-290 and 70-291.

Good luck.
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    thats not the same as being cisco certified, take the test and pass it. past that the CCDA is alot like intro to CCNP from the materials i have seen

what do you mean is not the same as being cisco certified?

are you saying I can't call myself a cisco certified technician why i pass the ccda?
  • Options
    mysql1988 wrote:
    I have a certificate of course completion in Cisco networks but I don't have a CCNA.

like you said

you can't call yourself what your not

its up to you if you want to take the CCDA but currently it looks as if you don't have a cisco cert.. i have plently of microsft course completion certificates but i'm not certified in anything microsoft ... however i don't have any course completion certificates for cisco but i do have( earned through an actual cisco test) cisco certifications
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    You can't say you are a CCNA when you are not. No grey area there.

If you are as skilled as you have said, the test will not be all that hard for you to pass.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    The reason why I am taking the CCDA is because the company that I am working for wants me to have it. If they wanted me to have CCNA I would have taken the CCNA.

I think I can call myself Cisco certified because the CCDA also stands for Cisco certified design Associate.
  • Options
    right , once you pass the test.. CCNA is not a pre-requist for CCDA they are both entry level exams into the cisco certification process
  • Options
    keenon wrote:
    right , once you pass the test.. CCNA is not a pre-requist for CCDA they are both entry level exams into the cisco certification process

yup I just bought some CBT and and a sybex book I am really hoping I can nail this in 3 months
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Let him say whatever he wants... He may fool/impress a couple people, but one day he will get called on it and look like an ass.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Joshua9891 wrote:
    May be It sounds silly but i want to ask this question - Is is worth doing CISCO certified Courses ...AND which course is better CISCO or Microsoft Certified Courses. I am very much confused Please Hlep me out.

my sites

That's a completely subjective question. Neither is better or worse, they're both good to have.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Joshua9891 wrote:
    May be It sounds silly but i want to ask this question - Is is worth doing CISCO certified Courses ...AND which course is better CISCO or Microsoft Certified Courses. I am very much confused Please Hlep me out.
    [/url]

Is it worth doing the course? Absolutely not in my opinion, what you should do is buy the course training documents and study them yourself.I have studied the training course notes and tried to keep up with the day by day schedule,studying a solid 8 hours per day i managed to get to day 3 in the allocated 3 days,this was a hectic pace and this was also acomplished with some previous knowledge.It took another 3 days to complete day 4 and the trend continued like that exponentially due to the material getting more difficult as i progressed.
    I think if i was on a cisco training course, by day 3 everything would go over my head due to the speed and also my day dreaming from time to time.These courses are on such a strict schedule the instructor doesnt have time to stop and explain concepts that are vital before moving on.
    If your company is gonna pay take it,if not i wouldnt bother.Maybe it could be useful if you spent some time preping the material before you did the course.
    Oh maybe i made a mistake,above is in regards to a week long full time course,if its split over a longer period it would be better.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$