Options

Is 3 weeks enough?

loboernestoloboernesto Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
I've just done CCNA and I thought it would be a good idea to get MCSA before moving to CCNP.
I've just resigned to my job in order to start looking for something related to IT (preferably networking) after I come back from holiday (long ones since I don't quit a job every day!! icon_lol.gif ).
Anyway I thought that I will have more chances of getting a job if I have no experience but a "broad" CV rather than a CV where only Cisco reads...
I wanted to know how long do you normally study for before taking the 70-290. I've got about 3 weeks before going on holiday and I thought that if I study hard enough I could do 70-290 before the 13 of december. I know maybe 70-270 would be an easier option but the 70-270 will be a good companion for the CCNA until I have time to complete MCSA.
So do you guys think it is possible? I haven't had much time to dig in to the forum so I'm OK if you just direct me to the correct thread where I can find this info.
thanks!.

Comments

• Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on your experience with Server 2003. If you have multiple years of supporting a Server 2003 domain, then 3 weeks may be enough.

Without the above I don't think you would get sufficient enough experience to really merit the certification in that limited amount of time. You may pass, but in a span of three weeks are you really going to have a solid grasp of the material? Passing the exam is an achievement, but really understanding the material beyond a testing environment is what deserves the certification imo.
  • Options
    Hi,
    i think I know what you mean.
    I don't want to rush it neither... but I would be a good extra for when looking for a job once back from holiday. I'm not sure I'll get the time to study.. girlfriend's birthday is coming up next weekend and that is a whole weekend that I won't be able to study (pc and girlfriend don't get on very well icon_confused.gif ).
    So i'm thinking of put it off until I come back from holiday. I'll try to read the material before I leave though. I'm getting good study time during the week (6 or 7 hours a day) so I think I can do that and then with some more hands-on take the test (i've got a vmware lab set up in the laptop so I can take where I go).
    I don't want to just fly over the material, pass the exam and then forget everything, is not my intention.
    thanks for the advice.
    cheers
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No problem Loboer. Good luck!
  • Options
    CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Hi guys,
    I've just done CCNA and I thought it would be a good idea to get MCSA before moving to CCNP.

From what I hear CCNP is terribly hard to get (from my current teacher who holds one)

Personally If I were you I would stick with the CCNP while you're at it.
    Seems more logical to me to keep at it while your in the mode.
    Just a thought. Either way good luck :)
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Best time I've ever done on an exam with self study (and no prior experience) is 1 month, and that was the Pervasive SQL Tech exam.

Next best would've been the NetWare 6.5 CNA at 1.5 months, but the heavy reading and studying was largely the last two weeks of that-- prior was largely working with the product.

What am I saying? In my experience, 3 weeks would be a long shot unless 1 week is boot camp!

My average time to completion is 3 months for a given exam, without pushing myself to study EVERY single day.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    But he's not working right now, so he can create his own 'bootcamp' environment.
    I think 3 weeks is doable if you really work at it.
  • Options
    But he's not working right now, so he can create his own 'bootcamp' environment.
    I think 3 weeks is doable if you really work at it.

That was the idea, but i almost lost my girlfriend when I did that for the CCNA exam...
    I'm gonna read the material and practice all I can for now but not with the pressure of the exam ahead..although CCNA weighs heavy on me now and I've got CCNP switching reading on one hand and 70-290 on another. A switched network makes a lot more sense to me right now than an Active Directory does!... icon_lol.gif
    I think that my best move is to study quietly (although this seems to be addictive icon_rolleyes.gif !!) until I come back from holidays.

One more question: when looking for a job in my case what would be better? CCNA + CCNP or CCNA + MCSA (MCSE would come right after)?

thanks
  • Options
    OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    defenitely CCNA + CCNP
  • Options
    Tom_E_ReynoldsTom_E_Reynolds Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I, too, find my self on the fast track to get my 70-290 cert. After getting laid off, I have been going to the library 4 hours every week day, while getting an extra 2-4 hours per day as best I can. I have been studying now for three weeks for 70-290. (With future plans for XP 70-270, and Exchange 70-284)

I was going to try and take my exam next week, but with Thanksgiving in the USA, I need to wait until December 1st now, as there seems to be no slots available close by.

As for an answer to what’s better, CCNA + MCSE or CCNP? That might depend on what the local job market is looking for.

IS the local market looking for a wide range of server and networking skills, or more network engineering jobs?

DO a search in your local jobs web site, here in Pennsylvania its Dice.com, CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com, and see what employers or recruiters are looking for.

Doesn't hurt to call them (recruiters) also, even before you are done, as they are always looking to get people signed up as soon as possible.

Also, as a final comment if you are just starting out, volunteer work is ALWAYS a great way to get real world experience while looking for that big job. (How to get experience when no one will hire you because you don't have experience...)

Local Non-Profit orgs, as well as schools, and churches always need plenty of computer work, mostly PCs, but some AD, and maybe some networking.

I am currently at the point that after finishing the MS Self Paced book, I am now looking on the net for free tests and training materials. Thats how I found this site.

Good luck. I'll keep everyone up-to-date on my success, pass or fail.

Tom

MCSE 1999 NT4
    CCNA 1999
    CCSA 2002

www.RaritanRiver-RR.com
    http://www.raritanriver-rr.com/RRRR.html
  • Options
    Tom_E_ReynoldsTom_E_Reynolds Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    4 weeks officially, and I passed with an 885!

Now on to 70-270!

Tom

MCSE NT4
    CCNA
    CCSA
    MCP 2003