Options

Quick question about obtaining the CCNA

finchx6finchx6 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I couldn't find just a simple straight forward answer on the website, so I just thought I'd ask here. As I posted on an earlier forum on this site, my company is giving me roughly a month to obtain the CCNA. After reading some responses, I realized there is more than one part to the CCNA... I know there is the intro exam, but what other exams must be taken before you're technically certified? On the Cisco site, it lists 6 different PATHS you can take, but I'm not sure if thats what I'm looking for or not... I guess just basically, what all exams must a person take before they've obtained the CCNA???
"Suicide hotline... please hold..."

Comments

• Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    You really can't get more simple or straightforward than this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

As the site states, you can either take one test OR two tests, depending on your preference.
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    The CCNA can be taken two different ways.

640-801 is ONE test. You pass that you have your CCNA.

OR

You can take two tests - the Intro and the ICND. T

he material is the same either route you take, but one shoves it into one exam and the other way breaks it up.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The paths you can take refer to the exams that come after CCNA. The CCNP, CCSP, CCIP, CCVP, CCDP and the CCIE paths that follow are higher-level certifications. One thing to note, though, is that all the professional-level certs require CCNA, (and sometimes CCDA).

For right now, though, all you have to worry about is if you want to take the single CCNA test (640-801) or the two seperate tests, INTRO (640-821) and ICND (640-811). The advantage to taking the two seperate tests is that you don't have to study for everything in one shot. The disadvantage is that the two tests cost as much as the one single test and you are, in the end, taking two tests for one cert.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I appreciate the responses, I was really starting to worry about that. Thinking about having to get this cert so quickly when everyone has told me how hard thats going to be is wrecking my brain..heh. Unfortunately, I just found out that I have no choice. I have to take the 801 single exam. And afterwards go to work on the others mentioned in this forum as the more professional certs. Although I've read in another forum that the CCNP test is currently undergoing some makeovers, so I guess my next question would be, how important is the CCNP, and would it be worth the effort and money to get it, and THEN chase the others, or skip it and go straight for the higher regarded certs??
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only more highly regarded certs in the Cisco path are the CCIE level paths. If you don't have the kind of experience to go take the CCIE, (which very few people do,) I'd say stick with the pro-level certs for now. You might want to think about CCDA as well, then look into the new CCNP tests, or going over and looking at CCSP or one of the others on the same level.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Sorry, when I said more advanced, I was speaking of like the CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, etc... I wasn't really including the IE certs because I know there is NO way I'm ANYWHERE near getting those... I know I would atleast like to get the ones I just mentioned, all of which I only need the CCNA before taking with the exception of the CCDP, which would require me to get the CCDA first, so that will probably be my next stop after the CCNA... (that is, if I can cram enough in one month to pass the thing)
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I wouldn't say they are more advanced, just a different direction. They still have core requirements similar to CCNP.