Options

When do you use Last Known Good... and Recovery Console?

powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
While studying, I have got confused on when is the best time to use the Last Known Good Configuration and the best time to use the Recovery Console. I am wondering if you can give me some examples, too.

Otherwise, besides 2 or 3 more little flaws, I think I'll do well coming next Wed.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Though I didn't write them for the A+ OS, I think my Windows XP TechNotes shoudl shed some light on it:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/backup_restore_repair.shtml
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    In an actual working environment, you would probably try Last Known Good Configuration first, then use Recovery Console if that didn't work, so it's not so much a choice of one over the other. For the A+ exam, however, it's important to know that Last Known Good Configuration should be used if a device driver or something in the Registry becomes corrupted and keeps you from booting into the OS, whereas Recovery Console would be used to fix a damaged MBR or boot sector (using fixmbr or fixboot).
  • Options
    powerman7tpowerman7t Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your assistance. It is much clearer to me now. :D
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In an actual working environment, you would probably try Last Known Good Configuration first, then use Recovery Console if that didn't work, so it's not so much a choice of one over the other. For the A+ exam, however, it's important to know that Last Known Good Configuration should be used if a device driver or something in the Registry becomes corrupted and keeps you from booting into the OS, whereas Recovery Console would be used to fix a damaged MBR or boot sector (using fixmbr or fixboot).

couldn't agree more
  • Options
    ricktearicktea Inactive Imported Users Posts: 118
    Last know is a handy tool, also remember that as
    far as system restore you may get a question like:

Where can you delete restore points, and believe it or
    not you can delete old restore points not currently made
    in : Disk Cleanup.
    Richard Krenzel