Options

Should i take the (2) test or (1) Exam route?

bangkokratbangkokrat Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Message Board, I wanted to know if it is easier to pass the (1) exam 640-801 CCNA, or should i take the (2) exam route?

I have taken the 640-821 twice and failed only by a few points, but my issue is that i run out of time, and find myself running though the questions being forced skim the question, and radomly click an item.

I passed my Network+ with out studying, and only missed a few, but passing with an above average score. I have done many networking jobs, and troubling shooting physical cables...etc. But i have never had hands on training or time with Cisco switches and routers. I do have Bosion's Cisco router software, so i have most studies aids.

How long does it usually take to study for the CCNA? I understand that people are different and learn at different speeds, and family life has to be accounted for, but on average how long should i set my goal.

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    For you, I doubt it matters what route you take. Time is very much of the essence when it comes to the CCNA exam.

However, intro should not be a problem for you. It is one of the easier of the two exams required for CCNA.

Keep studying, and practicing with labs.
    Perhaps you are using poor study aides? What are you using for resources in your study?
  • Options
    james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That seems to be the million dollar question, and you'll find a lot of different opinions. In the case of being easier, I personally think the 2 test is easier, which is the route I am taking.

I'm really focusing just on the basics, trying to understand fully all the concepts and CISCO commands that the INTRO exam requires, and then moving on and focusing on the more advanced stuff with a solid foundation in place.

There is a lot of information to take in, and splitting that information into two separate studying paths, inevitably will allow a better understanding than for example studying the whole lot in one go using the same timeframes.

The downside to my approach, is that it will no doubt take longer - maybe a month or two longer, but I feel In my case, I would rather take longer and fully understand, than rushing and failing. And of course you have to pay for 2 exams, instead of one.

Just my thoughts. A said, it really depends on the person taking the exam and how much experience he/she has had.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would say over study and take 1. as 2 tests can cover alot more material and cost more icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I am close to taking my exam and reading what you have done so far I would say your CCNA single seems to be more of a time management problem when sitting the exam. Some of those questions are tricksie and skimming would lead you straight into the trap they are setting for you. icon_twisted.gif

From what I have read, the two exam option, although covering less topics, goes into each of thos topics more than the single exam option.
    The single exam option goes into more depth on teh harder topics.

Bear in mind I haven't taking mine yet, and I am still undecided as to whether I will do the single or the two exam route, so I may not be in the best position to advise but....

I reckon with a little more exam technique preparation you should be ok.

Remember what topics gave you the most difficulty and study the .... out of those topics you think you are week on.

Learn which topics you know well or, with a little bit of pre exam start preparation, can knock out very quickly ... IE preparing Subnetting lookup tables during the exam intro if you need them. You may be able to save valuable time on those questions and use the saved time on your trickier questions.

The main thing I would suggest is don't get down hearted about it. You have two attempts under your belt and know exactly what to expect the next time you sit for it which is a whole lot more than I have when I walk into my attempt soon.

Good luck. I'm sure you will be fine.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Thank all of your for you'r toughts, and suggestions. My study material is the following.

CCNA 5th ed. 640-801 by Todd Lammle
    CCNA 2 vol. boxset by Cisco press
    Cisco CCNA Netowork Simulator by Boson Software Inc.

I work longs hours, over 10+ hours a day, and i commute 3 hours one way, so time management is a big deal. I try to study on my commute, but i am sure we know how that goes.

Thank you again. Good luck with your tests.
  • Options
    Remember guys, he's taken and failed 640-821 twice, which is INTRO. Intro should be the easiest of the 3 tests (INTRO, ICND, Combo[INTRO and ICND on one test]).

That has me compassionately concerned for him.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    Remember guys, he's taken and failed 640-821 twice, which is INTRO. Intro should be the easiest of the 3 tests (INTRO, ICND, Combo[INTRO and ICND on one test]).

Wow...that really helped me...thanks.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    bangkokrat wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:

Yeah, if you can pass Network+ without studying, the Intro should be almost a cinch.

I'd recommend focusing on TCP/IP, almost to the point of reading everything that's out there. Get good with subnetting. I'd put off most of the Cisco specific stuff until last part of the study, but get to know routing protocol basics well (especially RIP and IGRP). Get some time on a router doing basics like banners, but don't go nuts over routers yet-- save the bulk of your rack time for the ICND.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    petedude wrote:
    bangkokrat wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:

Yeah, if you can pass Network+ without studying, the Intro should be almost a cinch.

I'd recommend focusing on TCP/IP, almost to the point of reading everything that's out there. Get good with subnetting. I'd put off most of the Cisco specific stuff until last part of the study, but get to know routing protocol basics well (especially RIP and IGRP). Get some time on a router doing basics like banners, but don't go nuts over routers yet-- save the bulk of your rack time for the ICND.

I think were i went wrong was with the command anwsers. I have subnetting down, Class B and A get a little confusing, but i score pretty high on test exams. I understand what is forwarded, and when MAC and tcp/ip address is used at which layer.

The last test had images of the Frames and segments. Asked really odd questions like size of packets and how many segments Kilobytes. Windowing and streight through method, store and forward...questions like that. I know the tricks like take 256 - 240 gives you 16, so your segments are going to be 0, 16, 32...etc. also know that you can take 16+16 gives you 32. 32-1 = 31 31 is your broadcast address...so your range is 17-30 and 31 being your broadcast. Things like that i am ok with, just some of the technical questions.

Thanks for the help
  • Options
    If that's the case, then the combo might be better for you, assuming you'd otherwise do good on ICND. Less emphasis on intro in the combo.
  • Options
    Danman32 wrote:
    If that's the case, then the combo might be better for you, assuming you'd otherwise do good on ICND. Less emphasis on intro in the combo.

I notice you have your CCNA. Which method did you use? (1) or (2) test?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm taking the INTRO exam on Monday. I'm going for the two test route because my employer is paying.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    bangkokrat wrote:
    I have subnetting down, Class B and A get a little confusing

Subnetting Class A and B are no diferent to subnetting class C.... Really!
    Just work out the subnet part in Binary and you never go wrong. And you get quite quick at it too.

Work out what class you are in.. A, B, C
    Work out the subnet range (thinking in Binary)

EG IP: 10.x.x.x SN 255.240.0.0 = SN Boundary Increments of 16.0.0
    IP: 10.x.x.x SN 255.255.240.0 = SN Boundary Increments of 0.16.0
    IP: 10.x.x.x SN 255.255.255.240 = SN Boundary Increments of 0.0.16

IE 16.0.0 - 31.255.255 -> 32.0.0 - 47.255.255 -> 48.0.0 - 63.255.255
    0.16.0 - 0.31.255 -> 0.32.0 - 0.47.255 -> 0.48.0 - 0.63.255
    0.0.16 - 0.0.31 -> 0.0.32 - 0.0.47 -> 0.0.48 - 0.0.63

You see how they are incrementing ?

This process is identical whichever class you are using.
    Kam.
  • Options
    bangkokrat wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:

I notice you have your CCNA. Which method did you use? (1) or (2) test?

Combo. Most of what was in Intro was trivia, which in the words of the instructor, would water down the ICND part a bit. In any case, the major part of Intro you'd need as a foundation for ICND anyway, such as getting into Exec mode, subnetting, etc.
  • Options
    Altern8Altern8 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Has anyone taken the intro exam since?

Cheers
    Craig
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I'm thinking of taking mine next week. I was looking into seeing how much the intro would cost, I was guessing like $65 icon_redface.gif and they are $100 for intro and 100 for the other half. I guess I'll be shooting for 640-801 after all.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.