Options

Does this sound good???

boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a chance to reenlist for these 3 schools the reenlistment would be for 4 years. Do you guys think it is worth it?

IT-2735 Information Systems Administrator

Provides basic and in-depth levels of instruction in Local Area Networks (LAN) and Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN), with focus on system administration. Prepares technical personnel to administer commercial network operating systems within the functional areas of configuration, system, and performance management. Manage/maintain internal site networks to include but not limited to MS Exchange, NetWare, Novell, UNIX, and Windows NT. Conduct first level network software and hardware corrective actions

IT-2780 Network Security Vulnerability Technician

Recognizes microcomputer operating systems (i.e. MS-DOS, Windows NT, UNIX, and Novell Netware) vulnerabilities and performs corrective actions to ensure maximum system availability. Assists the Information Systems Security Manager (ISSM) with the System Security Plan (SSP) and systems accreditation in accordance with IN-225. Uses commercial off the shelf software and operating system specific tools to perform virus protection and detection, system backups, data recovery, and auditing functions. Creates, configures, and maintains user and group accounts across multiple operating systems. Assesses protocol and proxy service vulnerabilities and their relation to firewalls. Develops and implements solutions, with regard to protocol and proxy service vulnerabilities, guarding against hostile attempts of compromise or inadvertent disclosure of sensitive material. Verifies and writes Access Control Lists (ACL) and programs screening routers

IT-2781 Advanced Network Analyst

Manages network operating systems (i.e. Windows NT, UNIX, and Novell Netware) utilizing infrastructure (i.e. cabling, throughput, connectivity, I/O devices, and topologies). Possesses thorough knowledge of current technology and trends. Implements a variety of connectivity solutions including but not limited to RAS, T1/T3, ISDN, ATM, X.25. Implements a variety of protocols, services, and standards such as TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI stacks, Internet (http, ftp, telnet, smtp), and X.400/500. Designs hardware and software to work in concert taking into consideration compatibility, environmental constraints, growth potential, life cycle management, cost/performance analysis, and user feedback. Performs hardware and software installation and testing. Performs management and maintenance functions including inventory control of computer assets, software and configuration management, user training, and help desk management.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not clear as to what 're-enlist' means in your situation?

Is this a school that you previously completed a degree? Is it a college/university? Or just a JBHunt truck driver-like school (place where you focus only one type of classes and may or maynot be accredited....probably not...and may or may not be around in 4 years?)

Is it worth it? Let me ask you this?

What is it worth to you? Do you have the money? Do you have the time? What will this do for you with your current career? How do HR departments view candidates completting this program? Are candidates seen as real job applicants? Or are they viewed as applicants without any real experience?

Also, can you still work while going through the program? Are the class time flexible? What's the placement rate? How quickly can you complete the classes with the technology still being valid/in demand when you finish?

Tech schools do look tempting, but I've usually found most employers are looking for experienced people or college graduate-type people. Making this an expensive gamble (IMNSHO).

Perhaps you could shed a little light on some of the above questions....maybe it would a good value??
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I hate to see you work hard for 4 years just to learn those three catagories. To me that would be less that a semester.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well,

Its for the Navy so the schooling is free, and then once I have the schooling I would be the system administrator and security manager of wherever I went for four years. So I would get the schooling and 4 years of experience. Considering I have no experience right now? Is it better to maintain a pay of 50k+ and full benefits and do 4 years or should I try to learn it myself and work my way up the civilian ladder?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Ahhh....Re-enlist i.e. the military....makes sense :)

First, thank you for serving :)

Second, 50K+ is a great wage, but only you really know if it is what you enjoy. If you will be working a.k.a Miliary service, then it's probably not a bad thing.

Depending where you live and what skills you have, I'm not cetain how easily you'll find something for 50K+ with benefits.

Yes, you can learn it on your own, but you could be in the military, take the classes as well as learn on your own too. If you have a family, then consider what is best for your family.

Otherwise, if you enjoy serving...and knowing we are in the middle of war...it's your call. I can appreciate that once in, many really love it. Others hate it. 20 years and out if you can stand it, is a great way to retire at 37-38ish years of age and begin a new career.

If you are around 24 and have no experience, and IT is something you really want to do....I'd probably keep making the 50+ K, get the education, get the experience, learn all I can, network with all the people I possibly could....then decide. You may even wish to do it longer then 4 years.

:2cents:
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    drpower555drpower555 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dont know what your job is now, but those class'es will go along way to being a Navy civilian employee. Check my post on federal jobs with the Navy. Do the IMO/ISO job and go to class at night.
    Psychotic Anthropophobiac Android