Options

Windows XP real life problem

weargleweargle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed both CompTIA A+ exams as well as Network+ and am getting ready to study for 70-270. I recently encountered a problem on my own computer that is making me scratch my head, so I hope that I can get some advice here. The machine is a Dell Inspiron B130.

The sound worked this morning, and now this afternoon, I've got nothing. The Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control panel show no errors; disabling then enabling the device driver did nothing; downloading a new driver did nothing; restoring to last Saturday's previous restore point did nothing. The system error log shows a repeating error 256 that popped up about eight times this morning about the time that I stopped getting sound. The intarweb indicates that this is a PnP error and isn't serious.

I'm at a loss, I'm hearing nothing from either the speakers or the headphone out, so I assume that it's hardware related. All of the software indicates that the speakers should be on full blast.

Any ideas before this thing becomes a discus?

Comments

• Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does your sound card have both analog and digital outputs? If so, are you using analog but the sound card is set to digital out only? I sometimes forget to make the switch when I move from my stereo (digital out) to my cheap desktop speakers (analog)...

Although this probably won't help, it's easy to check.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Look at the keys on your keyboard, some are in a purple/blue color. You may have disabled sound by using one of these keys simultaneously with the "Fn" key of the same color.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    weargleweargle Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Look at the keys on your keyboard, some are in a purple/blue color. You may have disabled sound by using one of these keys simultaneously with the "Fn" key of the same color.

Son of a ... that fixed it. Don't know why using the keyboard to turn the speakers off then back on worked, but it did.