Options

if it was you what would you do??

Hi everyone

I'm sortta at a cross roads here...Im' preparing for my 291 to complete my MCSA

after that I really wanted ot specialize in security....since I ind it extremly interesting...and easy to study for

BUT

I've been an admin for a small company for 3 months now and I know I'm weak in exchange but, my boss still asked me to move everytihng from exchange 2000 to 2003 on a diffeent machine (almost completed it).

so since I work for a comapony of 50 users and security isn't really a big concern as other compaines I've worked for Should I just suck it up and write my 70-284 cert.

I think that is what I'll do even though I'm not overly interested in being an MCSA + messaging but I tihkn it will help me earn points with this company by saying I relaize I'm weak in this but I fixed it.

what would you do??

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Delay security for a couple of months to nail the messaging. If you think about it, security is NOT a stand-alone subject. You can't know how to secure something if you don't know how to operate/manage it in the first place. You have to learn networking before you can learn how to secure a network, you have to know how to use Linux before you can learn how to secure it, etc.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I know what your saying

but security is so much cooler...lol

I just find it more interesting than exchange

so I guess the plan now is

291 sit before x-mass
    the a week break and 284
    then sec+
    then I'll finish my MCSE
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like a good plan.
    And I agree, security is cool .
    Keatron is my role model when it comes to security and professionalism. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've always been a big fan of Exchange server. I was just recently replaced with VB Express as my personal nr.1 Microsoft application. But I agree security is 'cool'. Together they are like strawberries and chocolate. I.o.w. you don't have too choose between them, if you like both, you can simply combine them. Email is afterall one of the most common types of network traffic, and all sort of encryption and security technologies can be applied (AV, disaster recovery, IDS, firewall, email encryption, signing, VPNs, secure web access to email, etc, etc). And both (email and security) are good areas in terms of job security.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Exchange is cool & I'm looking foward to 2007. If I were you I would take the exchange exam, it makes more sense - You can have the cert & experience. There are alot more security certs you can obtain when compared to Exchange....IE, Sec+, SSCP, CISSP..

I am actualy taking our Exchange server down this weekend, for an offline defrag..Running out of space!
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    garv221 wrote:
    I am actualy taking our Exchange server down this weekend, for an offline defrag..Running out of space!

that's actually a breeze man I did it a about a month ago the only issue i had with it was
    I thought when the command said "database name" that you didn't need the quotes around it when I put in the quotes it ran great

this didn't work for me
    C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin> eseutil /d c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb

but this did

C:\program files\exchsrvr\bin> eseutil /d "c:\progra~1\exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb"

it could have been a glitch knowing my old exchange box though but I've seen the command listed both ways.

here is something that looks like a good read and notice the quotes

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Exchange-ISINTEG-ESEUTIL.html

good luck
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Thank you, I'm sure it will go well. I only hae 14GB left on the drive.