Options

MCSA / MCSE confusion

NessiahNessiah Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just passed the A+ Cert. and now I'm looking to move onto the Microsoft Certifications so that I can become an MCSA and eventually MCSE. I have three questions to ask, and I apologize if they were previously asked, but I did check previous posts and could not find my answers. I did not pass any of the required Microsoft tests, so my questions refer to the upgraded exams.

1. I heard from some professor that the MCSA is 5 (or so) tests, and they are included within the 9 (or so) MCSE certification tests. Is that true that if I become MCSA certified, that I have several more exams to take to be an MCSE?

2. What tests numbers, titles, and any other info of the MCSA and MCSE certification tests? I went to the Microsoft site to clear that up, but the faq there sucks and when I thought I had an answer, the next question I read led me into more confusion?

3. Any recommendations of quality books (that I may be able to read and study on my own) for these exams? If so, please list the name/number of the exam you used along with the book.

Thanks for all the time that you put into answering my questions. I greatly appreciate this. TechExams.net was a great help to passing my A+ exam, and I am grateful for that as well.

Nessiah icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    jrowejrowe Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1. MCSA is 4 exams, MCSE is 7 exams, yes you can gain MCSA on your way to MCSE qualification.

2. as for test numbers

MCSA windows 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsa/windows2003

MCSA windows 2000 http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsa/requirements.asp

MCSE windows 2000 http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

MCSE windows 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/windows2003

3. personally i use the MSpress books and the sybex books along with the Transcender practice tests.

hope this is of some use to you ! :)
  • Options
    ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone--I know Im being a broken record here--but I still dont know the difference between the two. Im too hard-headed icon_sad.gif I have never really gotten a simple wording other than one is for system administrator and the other is for system engineer. I guess I need to understand the duties/roles between the two.

I dont have any certifications yet, but I do have an degree in comp sci.(concentration--info systems). Im studying up right now for the A+ cert exam early next year. After that I hope to mayb go for the Network+ certification. So mayb Im getting wayyyyyyy ahead of myself.
  • Options
    colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCP: So-so
    MCSA: Good
    MCSE: Better
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    mcsa. microsoft certified systems administrator. basically somebody who knows a good bit about networks and administering user accounts and stuff.

mcse. microsoft certified systems engineer. the engineer bit might fool you. they don't usually get a whole pile of hands-on with wiring and stuff. but as well as being able to administer a network, they can also design the network - decide on how many servers and what servers do what, configure active directory trees and forests and stuff like that. usually speciailising in security, exchange, sql, etc.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    PeteyBPeteyB Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So if I got A+ and Net+, it's a good path to go for Sec+, then MCSA, then CCNA, then MCSE?

That should keep me busy for a while

Petey
  • Options
    LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    after looking at the links provided above... I see that the Comptia a+/net+ can be used as a elective for mcsa... but only comptia security + can be used as a elective for mcse.... I thought I could use a+/net+ as an elective for the mcse also.. icon_confused.gif
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately no. Or maybe fortunately?
    MCSA is for administrators who are involved in the day to day running or networks, where MCSE is supposedly for those who design them. That involves slightly different skill sets, so I can definitely see why A+ & Net+ are not electives for MCSE.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would anyone say that the mcsa offers more job security? Or is it the other way around?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I would say the other way around. Every job you can do/get being an MCSA, you can get as an MCSE as well. Vice versa this is not the case.