Options

Passed 70-294 - My Thoughts and Advice

nevets2001uknevets2001uk Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I took the 70-294 exam today and came out with an 890.

I'm really pleased with the score as all during the exam I was feeling like failure or a close run thing was just around the corner. Even tho I'd studied hard, the questions seemed to be providing some pretty silly scenarios which made getting the answer that much harder. Like the 291 the questions felt like they were worded to confuse and make simple topics hard to understand.

I had 39 questions, 5 of which were sims (all quite straightforward).

I enjoy AD and have been studying really hard in the last week for this exam but until a few weeks ago I'd never used or seen it!! My best advice is to read up on GPOs and get plenty of experience at creating, linking and working with them. Certainly practice software installations using them as well. Make sure you know your trusts and sites as well and have practiced with the AD consoles for each of them.

I used the MOC Book and a 5 server virtual PC environment to study, plus some info from technet and MS help. The biggest thing for this really is to know how to do things in practice. The Microsoft best practices and guidelines are worth learning for the various topics as well. Some of the questions seemed to provide multiple answers that could work in theory and it was a case of picking the most appropriate from a design point of view.

Also a lot of the questions gave some fairly complicated scenarios that may involve multiple domains, forests and sites. They didn't often provide a diagram of the setup. To help you in the exam I recommend using the note sheet provided to draw out a diagram to help visualise the setup. It makes choosing a plausable answer that much easier. It also helps when working out the GPO questions to have a sketch of the OU layout they describe.

I took more time on this exam than any other, mostly due to the diagramming and understanding the slightly unlikely scenarios! Take your time and think it through. By applying the answers the diagram of the setup I was able to rule out the duff answers quite easily. As I say I didn't feel confident during the exam but the score cheered me up the end.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve

Comments