security career

jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wanted to get a degree in info sec, but hastily went for the proj mgmt instead. Will this likely help or hinder my journey to become a security professional. I am currently studying for the Security+ as a start.

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jstrong wrote:
    I wanted to get a degree in info sec, but hastily went for the proj mgmt instead. Will this likely help or hinder my journey to become a security professional. I am currently studying for the Security+ as a start.

I wouldn't say it will hender you. However, you might have to learn more later as far as security goes. Some of the best people I know in infosec majored in stuff like history, economics, etc. It's not always about where you start. Apply yourself fully, and it wont make much difference at all in the end game.
  • Claud MurdockClaud Murdock Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I strongly agree with keatron man, half the people I have worked with have degrees in either teaching or polotics, even one person has one in wildlife conservation. Project Management is a good degree too! less technical oriented, but sure as heck gets you paid more (and you can be peoples boss, oh the power!). I think your making a good choice, because now instead of being like a info sec employee, you can back that degree to be a CISO!!! :D