Options

Domain problem

netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
I have set up a Domain controller, windows 2003 server, and have attempted to add a 2kPRO client to the Domain, I try to connect with the domain name testlab.local, but an error message keeps coming up with "Invalid domain, cannot connect to Domain"

It is so frustrating, anything I can try, would be most appreciated

Dave
Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If it can't connect, check the connectivity of the machine. Can you ping?
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    and have attempted to add a 2kPRO client to the Domain

Did that attempt succeed? Has the 2kpro client joined your testlab.local domain? If not, check your network config then ping each other. If it has then check computer and user account settings within AD. You might need to rejoin the machine to the domain...
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Is your client's DNS server set to the IP of the domain controller?
  • Options
    I can ping server, no problem, but I did notice that when joining the domain, it would not allow me to select lower case, it kept typing in Upper case, so whether this has somethingto do with it, Im not sure, its just an headache at the minute

Enoch Powell 1968

• Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before testing your DNS, simply try typing just Testlab for the domain name. If I recall, I've run into problems in the past when adding the .local. I doubt it will work, but what the hell right? =)
  • Options
    Thanks for that Everlife, sorted it, just typed TESTLAB, and that was it sorted, thanks chaps for the advice.

Enoch Powell 1968

• Options
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So netbios worked when joining the domain but not the dns name. A good indication that you don't have dns configuration set properly. Any dns errors in event viewer? Are you sure your client's dns ip is set to the DC with DNS installed on it?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    icroyal wrote:
    So netbios worked when joining the domain but not the dns name. A good indication that you don't have dns configuration set properly. Any dns errors in event viewer? Are you sure your client's dns ip is set to the DC with DNS installed on it?

Good call icroyal. I never knew you could use both the NetBIOS and DNS names for the domain to join it before.