Options

New CCNP exams

bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
Hey gang - I'm looking to start the CCNP sometime in 2007, but I'm trying to prepare (ie home lab) ahead of time and was wondering what will be needed for the new exams?

At work we're constantly getting rid of old equipment and I would hate to pass something up that would be useful.

So far my lab consists of:

(2) 2507
(2) 2621
(1) 2611

(2) 2950
(1) 3550

I think I can get some 1700's if they would even be helpful. But how does this look so far? I didn't know if I should be trying to pick up more routers or switches - and if so what models I should be trying for.

I did some searches on home labs for the CCNP, but I didn't know if the home lab requirements would change after the revamp.

Comments

• Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    The lab looks alright for now but according to... bowing.gif Chris Bryant bowing.gif... there is going to be a lot of emphasis on voice in the new exams.
    Cisco are going to step the exams up a "notch", so you might want to be looking at some voice equipment. icon_scratch.gif

It can't hurt since you could then use it for a CCVP! :P
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    steve - thanks for the advice!

I went over to his site - but I couldn't find anything on the new exams - just links to purchase his exam study materials. Am I looking in the wrong places?

CCVP is something I am completely interested in since at work I'm slowly getting into VoIP and CallManager and Unity - so to build a lab that will serve me for the CCNP and CCVP would be aswesome.
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Here's the article, I should have said it wasn't on his site. :D

I'm pretty much thinking of going the VOiP route because we use it at work and it's picking up momentum. There's a thread that Mikej posted on the equipment for a VP lab. icon_thumright.gif

Good luck
    Cheers :)
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I didn't know if I should be trying to pick up more routers or switches
    Your current routers and switches would do very well for even a CCIE lab. A 2511 would be nice. There's so much you can do with your current lab that will keep you busy for a while. Until the new Cisco press guides for the new CCNP exams are released for example, and it becomes a little clearer for which new topics it's worth investing in more equipment. You probably can't go wrong with adding voice equipment though.
  • Options
    Wow - I do need to find some more serious gear for the CCVP :P

Well better to get started earlier than later.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    a 3550... nice

As long as you have a dedicated Fr switch in ur setup.. your set
    Switches are bridges on steroids!
  • Options
    No kidding on the 3550 - I was lucky to snag that. Unfortunately I don't think it's PoE, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the idea about waiting for the new Cisco Press material - that should clue me in on what I'll be needing.

What really stinks is that I'm trying to finish my MCSA right now, but all I can think of is Cisco - how I want to finish my CCDA, then move on to CCNP - CCVP - CCSP - and eventually CCIE.

Wish I could just skip 70-290/291 - but I'm learning and thats why I'm doing this. Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    bmauro wrote:
    No kidding on the 3550 - I was lucky to snag that. Unfortunately I don't think it's PoE, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the idea about waiting for the new Cisco Press material - that should clue me in on what I'll be needing.

What really stinks is that I'm trying to finish my MCSA right now, but all I can think of is Cisco - how I want to finish my CCDA, then move on to CCNP - CCVP - CCSP - and eventually CCIE.

Wish I could just skip 70-290/291 - but I'm learning and thats why I'm doing this. Thanks again guys.

haha, i'm in the same boat as you. Patience :)