Windows 2000 & NT

kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok guys,
I have a quick question here.

I have a network of windows 2000 Server machines, and I added to it Windows NT machine to that network. And of course the windows 2000 wont even be able to ping the windows NT machine.

So I have to install WINS server on one of my windows 2000 server machines, and I DID. And I configured it, but still I have no response. There is no communication between them.
But if I have a router between them instead of a hub/switch there would be a response, so that means that NIC is working right. But HOW DO YOU SET UP WANS service? I need to set them up on both sides 2000 & NT?
is there a special configuration need to do? AND one more question, is there any site that will help me how to do it or give me few tips on it?

Let me know!

thank you

kicker

Comments

• pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    To see if that nic is working give it a ping. Ping localhost, or ping 127.0.0.1 you should get a reply if it is working.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you're 2000 machines have to be on mixed mode in order for the 2000 machines to be able to see the NT machines, and there has to be a PDC emulator on the network. I think you have to change from native to mixed mode in order for the NT machines to communicate with the 2000 machines. Hope this helps> techman
    information belongs to the public! hack the planet!
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    If i recall once you go to native mode, there is no going back. I think you would have to format to go to mixed mode.

Yes, according to my server book, pg 89.

Note: moving to native mode is a one-way move; once in Native mode, it is not possible to move the domain back to mixed mode.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • kicker22kicker22 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are u sure?
    I dont recall an option that is called mix or native mode in windows 200..

OK i know that windows NT uses netbios, does that mean I am supposed to enable using netbios over IP? there is this option in windows 2000 configuration.
    AND is that all I have to configure? what about windows nt side?

let me know

morad
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    When you install AD you are given the option to install in native or mixed mode, and yes you have to enable netbios over IP.
  • techman-aka-Formattechman-aka-Format Inactive Imported Users Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you're right pandimus, you can go from mixed mode to native mode, but not fron native mode back to mixed mode. otherwise you have to reinstall active directory. kicker before you added the Nt machines to you're network, did you have all 2000 machines on the network? If so then that's probably why they can't see each other. Although I think you might be able to DCpromo, the servers down, and try resetting to mixed mode, but you'de probably have to reformat. You should probably just upgrade all the NT machines to 2000 anyways. that would probably save you alot of grief. because NT machines use netbios naming resolution, while 2000 uses DNS. So you would have to install a WINS server. also you'de have to configure a PDC emulator, because NT machines use a primary domain controller, and a backup domain controller, and in order for the NT machines to see the 2000 machines it has to fool them into thinking there's a PDC and a BDC. you canh configure that option when you're installing active directory.although you can only do that in mixed mode. good luck techman.
    hey thanks dude,
    well, I would definitely install windows nt if I can. but it has 64 mb ram.
    and the machines are used only for hands on experience. thats all.
    Thus, is it ok to install windows 2000 on them? on 64 mb 133 mhz ?

let me know

morad
    Hey kicker, what you should do is just upgrade the ram on the NT machines, and then upgrade to 2000. I remember in one of my networking classes, we had a bunch of 2000 servers all running on 128 MB of ram, that was o.k., but they were all pentium 100-175. those machines took forever to boot up, but they still ran. I mean I guess you could just have a seperate Nt network, but what would be the point of that, besides they wouldn't be able to communicate with the 2000 machines anyways. How many NT machines do you have, that you want to add to the network? just that one? 133 is slow but it will still run 2000. I remember we even had one machine that was a 75! and it was running 2000 server! I almost couldn't believe it! It was slow but it still ran! if you upgrade the ram to 128 or 256, you should be o.k. It'll be slow, but at least you'll be able to add the machine to you're network. let me know what happens. techman
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What kind of NT machine is it? Are you pinging by name or IP address?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    I am almost done with my ccna and I forgot this part.

The reason why they wouldnt reach other for the following:

1. Windows NT IP network is 192.168.0.0/24
    2. Windows 2000 Server network IP is 192.168.10.0/24

and the hub wont help for them to understand each other. Same broadcast address...

correct me if I am wrong, and if there are other reasons.. then let me know!

so anyway, I changed the network IP of NT machines to 192.168.10.0, which made all of the machines network address 192.168.10.0
    and now it works!

kicker
    doesnt it need routing protocol set up? for different networks to read each other? DUH!

I ams stupid..

once again..

kicker