Options

255.255.255.254??? what?? Subnet zero used..???

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok I've seen this question too many times and i just dont understand it to be honest.

Using subnet zero, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.254 which of the following are usuable host addresses?

192.168.2. 3

i am completley lost because from my understanding the /31 will give u no usuable host addresses...but with subnet zero i dont know....subnet zero provides for what? do you use the network address for a host address?? Someone please explain this to me if you can. I thought i understood this but when i came accross questions like this numerous times..i dont know i just don't get it anymore.
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    First off, you are not going to get a question on /31 networks on the CCNA - so don't worry too much.

But as long as you asked....

Using /31 (255.255.255.254) gives you two addresses per subnet. You use them both as hosts. The drawback is that broadcasts are limited.

Here's the official Cisco take on it:

"RFC 3021 describes using 31-bit prefixes for point-to-point links. This leaves 1 bit for the host-id portion of the IP address. Normally a host-id of all zeros is used to represent the network or subnet, and a host-id of all ones is used to represent a directed broadcast. Using 31-Bit prefixes, the host-id of 0 represents one host, and a host-id of 1 represents the other host of a point-to-point link.

Local link (limited) broadcasts (255.255.255.255) can still be used with 31-bit prefixes. But directed broadcasts are not possible to a 31-bit prefix. This is not really a problem because most routing protocols use multicast, limited broadcasts, or unicasts."

The above is from http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/701/8.html#using31bit
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subnet zero is kind of a pain in the arse because sometimes its assumed and other times its not. However, in this case apparently it is used.

What that means is, the address that is normally reserved only for network addresses can be used as a host address. So in this case 192.168.1.0 & 192.168.1.1 are both usable.

254 = 11111110

Using that binary mask, there are only two possibilities for addresses:
    11111110 & 11111111.

The only two addresses that can fit into that range would be .0 & .1. Subnet zero allows you to use the first address (.0). Hopefully my logic hasn't confused you.
  • Options
    Thanks alot guys...but here's the thing. I really don't want to scare anybody, but i could swear this is one of the questions i messed up on last week, when i sat the ICND!!. I am so sure. So i appreciate the help i think i have the concept now. But about this not being on the exam i wud'nt say that too loud. Hope i didnt say too much.... icon_confused.gif

THanks again
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    kenny504 wrote:
    Thanks alot guys...but here's the thing. I really don't want to scare anybody, but i could swear this is one of the questions i messed up on last week, when i sat the ICND!!. I am so sure. So i appreciate the help i think i have the concept now. But about this not being on the exam i wud'nt say that too loud. Hope i didnt say too much.... icon_confused.gif

THanks again
    One of the guides I used either cisco, sybex or train signal said something about a /31... so it may be covered
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kenny504 wrote:
    Hope i didnt say too much.... icon_confused.gif
    Up until the "when i sat the ICND" you were doing okay. It could have been a paraphrased Cisco Press Flash Card/Test Questions.... or a Sybex/Cisco Press book question.... But nooooooooooo -- you have to drag an exam into your post. icon_mad.gif

But my study break over.... so I guess you win this round.... icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DirtySouth wrote:
    However, in this case apparently it is used.
    Apparently?! The question starts with "using subnet zero..."
    What that means is, the address that is normally reserved only for network addresses can be used as a host address.
    No, it doesn't mean that. "Using subnet zero" means that first subnet is used; it has nothing to do with address assignment WITHIN the subnets.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • Options
    [/quote]No, it doesn't mean that. "Using subnet zero" means that first subnet is used; it has nothing to do with address assignment WITHIN the subnets.[/quote]

OK, so your saying all addressin the first subnet only can be usuable..and only the addresses in the first subnet??......

If u have a link or some notes to bolster what you just said can you post it also please. Because i really want this concrete. Thanks
  • Options
    cambeicambei Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thanks alot cambei...that helps alot.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dmaftei wrote:
    DirtySouth wrote:
    However, in this case apparently it is used.
    Apparently?! The question starts with "using subnet zero..."
    What that means is, the address that is normally reserved only for network addresses can be used as a host address.
    No, it doesn't mean that. "Using subnet zero" means that first subnet is used; it has nothing to do with address assignment WITHIN the subnets.

Take a deep breath, bro. Have you not ever heard the word 'apparently' used? If you're not using subnet zero then none of the addresses in the first subnet can be used as host addresses. Thats all I was trying to say. icon_rolleyes.gif