Options

Choked at the last minute

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
I was on my 3rd interview with a company for a systems admin job. I shined through the whole thing until I met the last dude during the 3rd interview( I met 7 people in total in the 3rd interview). He walked in and didn't even shake my hand. He wanted to know more about my last job than anything else. I stuttered and struggled to find the right words. I think that might have killed it for me. Anyway, they say I did well and I should hear from them soon.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Don't forget to follow up......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I was on my 3rd interview with a company for a systems admin job. I shined through the whole thing until I met the last dude during the 3rd interview( I met 7 people in total in the 3rd interview). He walked in and didn't even shake my hand. He wanted to know more about my last job than anything else. I stuttered and struggled to find the right words. I think that might have killed it for me. Anyway, they say I did well and I should hear from them soon.

Hey, I know its hard but try not to stress too much. Something similar happened to me and they still wanted to hire me, but I turned it down because of that one guy I interviewed with. If the job interests you, keep hope alive! :) Also, if all the other people were cool, then maybe it's this one guy who's a little off and not a reflection of the department as a whole.

So don't fret, it may not be as bad as you think. Good luck with the turnout! :)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I wouldn't call it a choke, the interviewer was just unprofessional and in a bad mood. For future refrence, if an interviewer asks you when you are free to come in - make it Friday afternoon.
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Well, the recruiter just called and said that they decided not to hire me, I saw it coming. The last guy was very unprofessional, he answered his cell and spoke with his friend for about 10 minutes without saying excuse me. I wouldn't want to work with this guy.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Hey sorry to hear.....at least you are confident in that it may not have been the best place for you. You'll find what you need soon enough...best of luck!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Well, the recruiter just called and said that they decided not to hire me, I saw it coming. The last guy was very unprofessional, he answered his cell and spoke with his friend for about 10 minutes without saying excuse me. I wouldn't want to work with this guy.

Sorry to hear that, but maybe it was a blessing in discuise. That guy probably wouldn't have been a pleasure to work with at all!
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Olajuwon wrote:
    Sad thing is, if he cared that little about impressions. He probably ran the show there.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've never understood that, people who pick up their cellphone and chat away with their friends when they're working or engaged in a meeting or event, like an interview. I usually tend to consider sharing a joke with some friend of mine less important, in the moment, than my work or if I'm meeting with someone professionally. I tell my friends, "If you call when I'm doing something important at work or I'm in the middle of something, I won't pick up. Leave me a message, I'll give you a call when I'm on my own time."

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    He probably already had his feelings about you before hand. So he wanted to get rid of you quick. But why do these guys even bother to waste his and your time? Complete pricks.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I believe in karma; maybe one day you will interview him. Don't worry about this though.
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Your skills got you the interview.
    Your personality got you 2 extra interviews.

It is traditional for interviewers to "shake you up" just to see how you handle stress.

Don't worry and don't forget to follow up.
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im not sure about your case, but ive had the same kind of experiences with interviewers. They wouldnt smile, shake your hand, or anything you would expect. Everytime i didnt get the job. Its like they had their mind made up before even starting to talk to you. A couple of times i believe it was because the person or persons before me had made a good impression and they really did have their mind made up and were just going through the routine since i was already there. Like the other guy said it may be a blessing you didnt have to work with this guy. You will get the job you want, keep trying, then you will get the dreaded dilemma of having too many job offers.
    lungsucker.jpg
  • Options
    hackdugoodhackdugood Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You know, something similar happened to me. I was going for a Jr. Network Administrator position in NJ and some company called me for it. Paying ok money and these people had heavy accents. Now a position like that is VERY easy to do, just my foot in the door, you know? The guy told me that someone will call me in 15-20 minutes to tell me more about the job so of course I said that's no problem. When I got the call, he asked me what I did in my last job and I answered. While I was talking he cut me off and said "What is the difference between layer 2 and layer 3." I was like "Excuse me?" Of course I kept it all professional and answered nicely and correctly. Then I continued on about my experience and then he cut me off AGAIN "What is Class A and Class B Networks?" So I'm thinking that this is guy is 2 things: 1. A MORON! and 2. RUDE! So I told him "I'm sorry, but I was told that you were to call me to tell me more about the job position, not interview me." He replied "Oh yes, this is the interview" in an agreeing tone... So there was obivously a communication barrier and this guy was so rude to constantly cut me off and ask me BASIC questions. So They offered the job but I didn't take it... Because I really have to consider who my bosses are going to be and how will it look on me when I use them as reference... bastards...
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They could have been testing you. Some employers like to put you on the spot to see how you react. I think it is unethical, none the less.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland