Options

Telephone interview ?

oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
Applied for a helpdesk job and the first interview is over the telephone, is this normal ? The job agency said that at least if you get the interview it would be only one face to face.
Try til it hurts then try some more

Comments

• Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    it is not unusual to get a phone interview first. It is a screening process that is designed to eliminate those not qualified.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Correct...first phone interview then face to face. In my experience, they first phone interview you if it is out of state, then if they like you, they will fly you in for face to face (only the non-cheap companies). When I was job searching, if the company asked for a face to face interview outside of the state and wanted me to drive, they received the dial tone. Those who were willing to pay for the flight and transportation, I took them more serious and knew that they wouldn't be wasting my time since that would be wasting their money.

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did 3 phone interviews and then 4-5 person interviews for my Microsoft Consulting position; which I absolutely love. I was out of state and they fly out-of-state applicants in for the person interviews and phone interviews to see if the applicants meet the expectations for the job.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    I have a phone interview tomorrow. What type of questions should I ask the interviewer? This wouldn't be an appropriate time to ask about benefits, salary, hours, etc...would it? I was told this would be the technical interview and if I fit the skillset, I'll be called for an in person interview. Never been on a phone interview, so any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    I have a phone interview tomorrow. What type of questions should I ask the interviewer? This wouldn't be an appropriate time to ask about benefits, salary, hours, etc...would it? I was told this would be the technical interview and if I fit the skillset, I'll be called for an in person interview. Never been on a phone interview, so any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Since this is a helpdesk position, the interviewer is checking your communication skills.

I recently had a telephone interview question here are some questions they asked:

Name a situation where you dealt with a client complaint and how you dealt with it?

Why are you interested in this position?

I was asked questions about the company.

What salary are you looking for?

What shifts are you available?

At the end of the interview I would ask what is the next step in the interview process.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ask questions about what types of things you will be supporting. What is a typical call? Are there call-time requirements? Will you have a fixed schedule? Any OT?

I usually don't make a practice of asking about salary during a first interview. I like to leave that for the 2nd. If they bring it up, then by all means ask away.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Have any of you had phone interviews? If so, what was the experience like? I'm sure it's a lot different from an in person interview.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

Have any of you had phone interviews? If so, what was the experience like? I'm sure it's a lot different from an in person interview.

There is no time to think about the correct answer in a phone interview.

On the other hand you can read off a piece a paper the answers you made up before the interview -- but you have to be organize.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Phone interviews are fun because you are only being reviewed based on your answers and communication skills. You can be in the baddest of moods, but as long you put a smile on your face while responding, you can hide it. Or if you are frsutrated, you can hide it as well. If you are stuck on a wuestion or want to really wow them with a great answer, you can begin the answer and then access one of your books or soemthign to get more information. I think phone interviews are more relaxed...if only they knew that I was wearing only underwear during the phone interview because they called while I was changing or something icon_lol.gif . Some were short, and some lasted for hours. My out of state phone interviews usually lasted over an hour, which usually was followed be a plane ticket to come in for a face to face. During phone interviews, you can talk your way through answers, where as some of the face to face interviews I had, they can put you in a live simulation and show me, or they can see your gestures, eye movement, etc., to see if you are making something up or if you really know what you are talking about. Some of the phone interviews that I received sooner than I thought was great because while they were talking, I was online reading about their company, mission statements, breezing over the department and the staff, etc. Sometimes you forget who was supposed to call you or they say their name so fast that you don't quite get it, but you don't dare ask them for their name again during the interview...I don't anyway. Just a little bit of my experiences.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    if only they knew that I was wearing only underwear during the phone interview because they called while I was changing or something icon_lol.gif

Too funny ^

I just got done with the phone interview. I think it went pretty well. The lady was very calm and relaxed...made me feel comfortable. She said she wants to schedule an on-site interview sometime next week. I got this interview through a recruiting company, so she said she has to contact them and line something up. Would it be a good idea to send an email letting her know I'm interested in the position? I did that for the job I currently and apparently it worked. Just wanted to know what you guys think.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    famosbrown wrote:
    if only they knew that I was wearing only underwear during the phone interview because they called while I was changing or something icon_lol.gif

Too funny ^

I just got done with the phone interview. I think it went pretty well. The lady was very calm and relaxed...made me feel comfortable. She said she wants to schedule an on-site interview sometime next week. I got this interview through a recruiting company, so she said she has to contact them and line something up. Would it be a good idea to send an email letting her know I'm interested in the position? I did that for the job I currently and apparently it worked. Just wanted to know what you guys think.

yes, show your motivation