Options

Undo Shift-Delete

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
I screwed up! I shift deleted a number of documents from one folder when I meant to delete documents from a different folder... icon_redface.gif

Sooo..... Does anyone know a good recovery program that I can use to hopefully recover these files? Free if possible.

I've tried a number of file-recovery programs but have had no luck yet.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The problem with the free ones seems to be they only recognize certain files., but in your case it sounds the following should do the trick:
    www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    sweet.....

thanks~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You're welcome. I wrote an article for Smart Recovery years ago but I still can't find it... (I'd actually need to run file recovery on a old disk to find it icon_lol.gif ), it was one of the three mentioned here. Besides restoring data, it's also a nice way to verify data was actually deleted. I.e. if you sell your digital camera including flash cards for example.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I've used PC File Inspector for recovery before. It works well, and it should do the trick....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RecoverMyFiles is another good one but it isn't free
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    PC Inspector was the very first program I tried.... Followed by a half dozen other file recovery programs....

I can see files as far back as 2001 on this computer and many files from last week but I can't find any of the files deleted yesterday.

Oh well.... It isn't the end of the world if I can't get those files back. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Next time I go deleting files in the early morning I will wait until after I have my first cup of coffee. icon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I use File Scavenger v3 from QueTek (http://www.quetek.com/). The trial will recover the first 64K if any file on disk it can identify (including RAID drives), and the full program is only $50US. The testimonials section on their Web site is a good read (http://www.quetek.com/reviews_all.htm).
  • Options
    muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in the middle of attempting to retrieve files off my HDD with PC Inspector..so far it has found 10 photos.

I messed it up installing Vista RTM, it is slow i will say but as long as it retrieves the majority of my files, i will be happy.