Options

just curious

gatewayseeker2000gatewayseeker2000 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Does anyone out there really get a job with these certification or is this just a money making thing for CompTIA and is this site run by CompTia and Microsoft? I'd like to hear a success story.

Comments

• Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just look at any job listing anywhere. That should very clearly answer your question.
  • Options
    That doesn't really answer my question, because that could be taken several different ways.
  • Options
    I would say about 90% of all IT jobs require a certification of some sort. You do not make money 'with' the certifcations neccessarily, you make money off what you learned during your process of getting certified. If no one ever got anything out of being certified, CompTIA would not be around today. Also, this site is not owned or operated by CompTIA or any other certification company. As for success stories, I have none for you at the moment, I am still working on my first certification to be completed next week. Cheers
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I just got my first job strictly in IT about a month ago. I got the job because I was certified, and because I had both A+ and Network+, I get payed a dollar more per hour than someone who has no certs, or maybe just one cert.

Of course, it is entry level, it's not the best paying job in the world, and there are guys there that make 50% more than I do, but they have the likes of MCSE and several years of experience--and believe me, they know what they're doing.

So, yes the certs help get you a job and, at times, make you a little more money.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I got my helpdesk job without any certs. However, my company is currently paying for, and pushing me to get my A+, and then some cisco certs. After that, I'm up for promotion to more demanding, and higher paying jobs. So no, certs aren't really nessecary to get a job, but definately needed if you plan to move up.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    For thosewho replied with the success stories, thank you very much. I've got 2 certifications under my belt as I go for the MCSE. It's just hard to get out of the secretarial pool, and it helps to hear others say they've gotten a job.
  • Options
    No thanks for me? icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif