Options

Trunking Servers & Routers

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok i know that isl can be used to trunk a switch to a server....switches can also be trunked to routers....How do i know given a scanario in an internetwork and i need to find out which are access ports and which are trunk ports......

What keywords in the question do u think will be there to indicate or bolster to me that server1's port is an access port or trunk port to a switch...Also that RouterA's e0 interface is an access port or a trunk port.

I guess if they mention intervlan routing i kno that the router has a trunk port..?? right?? What about the switch
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• Options
    SVSV Member Posts: 166
    I am not very sure about the question.

Trunk ports are specifically assigned in switches.
    This will be attached to a normal ethernet port in a router using subinterface to route between VLANs.

The running configuration of a switch should inform us about the access-ports and the trunk-ports.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/88.html
    Life is a journey...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    show interfaces trunk is one good command, but won't work with all verisons of IOS

If you were checking the status of a specific interface, use show interface fa0/24 switchport (doesn't have to be fa0/24 of course)

Best summary command is show interfaces status, which will give you (among other things) the vlan assignment for every port. If the port is trunking, it will show the word "trunk" instead of a number

Sample output:
    Port    Name               Status       Vlan     Duplex   Speed   Type
    ------- ------------------ ------------ -------- ------   
    Fa0/22                     connected     2        Auto    Auto  100BaseTX/FX
    Fa0/23                     connected     2        Auto    Auto  100BaseTX/FX
    Fa0/24                     connected     trunk    Auto    Auto  100BaseTX/FX