Options

Network+ Book

muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I went to half priced books yesterday looking for the Net+ book by Mike Meyers, but they did not have it or any book on Net+ icon_cry.gif

So i drove over to Borders and they had two different books, the first one was $60 and was the Fourth Edition Network+ book by Mike Meyers.

I ended up buying the book i intended which is Mike Meyers' Certification Passport (second edition) for $32

Has anyone checked out the $60 book above? It was huge but i was unsure if i should spend the extra $$$ on it.

My next question would be, who has studied/passed using the Mike Meyeres' Certification Passport book? I am happy to have gotten it and i will begin studying ASAP and i am going to go ahead and schedule the test to turn up the heat and keep myself on track.

I want to thank you guy's here that have been through this before and for your feedback, it means alot to those trying to get certified.

Cheers

The book i got:

0072229144.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Woody80085Woody80085 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just use the technotes on this website, they're all you need and they're free
  • Options
    Why when you can use both, i can take the book with me anywhere i go, cannot say the same for technotes. They are just that "notes" and should be used in occordance with a book IMO.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    the bigger version is the 'All in One Guide", it's got things that you will need for sure for the exam, as well as real life information.
    it's more of an exam prep + reference material

the passport is sort of suppose to be a refresher read for people who know their stuff from either another source, or from their experience. For myself, I was able to pass Network+ with the technotes here and the Passport cert. book.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    They are just that "notes"
    I disagree, even though I called them TechNotes, they are more than 'just notes. Obviously I'm biassed, but they aren't notes from a book or anything. And if you would count the words you'll see they together contain as much text as a complete book, but without the fluff and repetition.
    and should be used in occordance with a book IMO.
    I agree, as that's exactly what they are created for, to supplement a book, CBT, or course, etc.
    How should I use these TechNotes?
    When I started writing these TechNotes, it started out as a 'detailed cram' but became much more than that. For any exam, we recommend you use at least 2 sources, for example two text books, or a book and a CBT. The TechNotes (the Free Version as well as the Special Edition) can be used as that second source. Considering the cost of the exam we recommend to buy at least one text book - combined with our TechNotes you will be fully prepared.

Can I pass the exam with just your TechNotes?
    This depends mostly on your level of networking experience. For example, if you are a desktop/system admin with more than 6 months experience in a typical network environment, and understand everything that is in the TechNotes and score well on practice exams, you will pass the exam. However, we do recommend to use at least one other product.
    The above was written for the 2001 PDF. I'll be uploading a new 'chapter'/TechNotes about wireless networking within a day or two. It's about 15 pages and covers several exam objectives I didn't cover in any of the other TechNotes yet. After that I need to update a couple of smaller ones (Unix/Linux, MAC OSX, troubleshooting), and then I'll create the PDF. Probably before the end of this year or early January. We are also working on a very cool alternative to the Special Edition we had for the 2001 exam.

Based on the many "I passed" posts and responses to the TechNotes we had over the past 3 to 4 years, a combination of my TechNotes and the the exam cram 2 guide, or the all-in-on or the passport seems to be a popular and successful combination.
  • Options
    the bigger version is the 'All in One Guide", it's got things that you will need for sure for the exam, as well as real life information.
    it's more of an exam prep + reference material

the passport is sort of suppose to be a refresher read for people who know their stuff from either another source, or from their experience. For myself, I was able to pass Network+ with the technotes here and the Passport cert. book.

I am already quite familiar with OSI and Protocols and Topologies etc.. just from my degree and experience, i took the practice exam and did pretty decent, i think this book and the tech notes will be more than enough for me personally. For others i have no idea, i think everyone should pick and choose based on their experience and knowledge.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    They are just that "notes"
    I disagree, even though I called them TechNotes, they are more than 'just notes. Obviously I'm biassed, but they aren't notes from a book or anything. And if you would count the words you'll see they together contain as much text as a complete book, but without the fluff and repetition.
    and should be used in occordance with a book IMO.
    I agree, as that's exactly what they are created for, to supplement a book, CBT, or course, etc.
    How should I use these TechNotes?
    When I started writing these TechNotes, it started out as a 'detailed cram' but became much more than that. For any exam, we recommend you use at least 2 sources, for example two text books, or a book and a CBT. The TechNotes (the Free Version as well as the Special Edition) can be used as that second source. Considering the cost of the exam we recommend to buy at least one text book - combined with our TechNotes you will be fully prepared.

Can I pass the exam with just your TechNotes?
    This depends mostly on your level of networking experience. For example, if you are a desktop/system admin with more than 6 months experience in a typical network environment, and understand everything that is in the TechNotes and score well on practice exams, you will pass the exam. However, we do recommend to use at least one other product.
    The above was written for the 2001 PDF. I'll be uploading a new 'chapter'/TechNotes about wireless networking within a day or two. It's about 15 pages and covers several exam objectives I didn't cover in any of the other TechNotes yet. After that I need to update a couple of smaller ones (Unix/Linux, MAC OSX, troubleshooting), and then I'll create the PDF. Probably before the end of this year or early January. We are also working on a very cool alternative to the Special Edition we had for the 2001 exam.

Based on the many "I passed" posts and responses to the TechNotes we had over the past 3 to 4 years, a combination of my TechNotes and the the exam cram 2 guide, or the all-in-on or the passport seems to be a popular and successful combination.

I agree, i did not meant to make it sound like the TechNotes were something just thrown together because obviously that is not the case. I have browsed them and they are solid and i commend you on your work.
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I used Mike Meyers' Passport and the TechNotes on this site, and scored a 900, so yes you can definitely pass using those two!