Using Virtual PC / networking

kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I had my virtual pc set up, im trying out a workgroup networking and configured a small office home office connection. both vpc's communicated but it's asking for a password...

My question is, does it have a default password? i did not set any password but i have tried everything from blank, to sa, to admin, and God knows what else did I typed...

I tried it out with local only, shared networking, and network adapter network settings but I cant have it work still..

any answers or better suggestions on how to network my vpc's?

thanks!

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    in a workgroup, each computer maintains their own local user/password database. This is true for both Virtual or actual machines.

ie.

PC1 -User1
    PC2 -User2

PC1 must have account User1 and User2 and PC2 must have account User1 and User2 for the two machines to be able to share files, and print.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kongming0gnkongming0gn Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for that..

actually, i've done that already. both usernames of my two virtual machines are appearing on both vm's on my "HOME" workgroup. the problem is, when i try to click on the icon of user2 on vpc1 at windows explorer, it shows:

username: vpc2\guest
    password:

... and i cant figure out what password to use. so i thought there might be a default password. i tried everything but still cant get through the other vpc's files. the same goes with vpc2.

thanks for your answers....
    password:

... and i cant figure out what password to use. so i thought there might be a default password. i tried everything but still cant get through the other vpc's files. the same goes with vpc2.

thanks for your answers....

you have to put in the user name as well. You can use the guest account if you want to, but I think that it's disabled by default, and there're adminstrative actions you cant perform with the guest account.

So once you have this:
    VPC1 with User1:pass1, User2:pass2, ....
    VPC2 with User1:pass1, User2:pass2, ...

and that the folders are shared with proper permissions for User1, User2

and let's say you are logged in as User1 on VPC1, and as User2 on VPC2, you should be able to access both machines from either one in Computer Places. If the login window still shows up, it means that the account you are logged in as isnt added (or added with different password) to the computer you are trying to access, or that the permissions hasnt been set.

Good luck.
    im sorry, i think im not getting it... you mean i have to create a new user account aside from the default administrator account for each vpc's? coz what i did is, i just renamed the vpc's to user1 and user2...

please pardon this simpleton, and thanks for your patience... :P
    K...let's backtrack a little and make sure we have all the bases covered.

you have a pc, and on it, you run Virtual PC, and you have created and installed win xp prof on 2 virtual machines.

So let's say your host pc (the physical machine you have virtual pc installed) is called host. and you have your 2 logical machines (the virtual machines) named vpc1 and vpc2.

If you want, now you can put all three machines on a workgroup, and test that way, or you can simply keep your host pc as it was, and put the two vpc's on their own workgroup and practice that way.

Anyway, on vpc1, you will have an account that you have logged with, it could be administrator, or it could be whatever else, for the sake of naming, let's say it's user1. On vpc2, you will have another account that you have logged with, it could be administrator, or it could be whatever else, now unless this account is has the same name AND password as the one you have used to log on to vpc1, it will be treated as a 'user2' in the scope of vpc1.

So the point and problem with all of this is that you have to make sure whatever you are logged on as on vpcx where x is the variable name of the machine you are on, is a valid account on the machine you are connecting to.

I dont mind explaining this to you, but it sounds to me like you have quite a bit of reading to do, and my suggestion is that you dont include your host pc in this 'lab' of yours, otherwise you might do something you dont intend, and screw up your functional, probably required machine.

again to recap, your example of this popping up:
    password:

shows up because you are logged on as "user1" on vpc1, and when you try to access vpc2 through network places, vpc2 checks its account database, doesnt find a match, and therefore asks you to enter a username and password.

You might find the following a good read before anything else. I used those tutorials many years ago when I first learnt about networking, and created my first network with Win98SE, and ICS. I just checked them just now, and it seems they are still active, and has been updated quite well.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

good luck~
    thank you very much bighornsheep for your patience.. :D ... just got to the office today. i'll be trying this out today and get through the tutorials on the link.

eight thumbs up to you and Techexams!
    thank you very much bighornsheep for your patience.. :D ... just got to the office today. i'll be trying this out today and get through the tutorials on the link.

eight thumbs up to you and Techexams!

you're welcome. Let me know how it goes for you. Once you figure out this concept of basic homenetworking, you could try to move on to other things like active directory, subnetting...

good luck~