Options

Good SOHO Wireless Router

dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good wireless router? I used to like Linksys but the last few have had problems (drop connections, need to be rebooted, etc). I have a client that is looking to connect 3 computers wirelessly with her cable modem.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I've used both Linksys and Netgear with no issues.......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Linksys, Netgear, or Belkin. I've had issues with D-Link, I would stay away from them.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used Linksys, Microsoft (bad) and Motorola. The Motorola is the one I still use, it was the best IMO.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Linksys w/ 3rd party firmware such as Talisman which will give you many features that are needed in a business environment.

http://www.sveasoft.com/
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    i've used netgear and D-Link not had any problems with either.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a big fan of NetGear and Buffalo Technology.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Linksys.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    xlg123xlg123 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another vote for Linksys. Avoid D-Stink.....
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Which wireless routers are "good" depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to mod the heck out of it with security, servers, and boosted power output with 3rd-party firmware, the older (pre v5) Linksys WRT54GS is a great one to get. If you simply want a serviceable wireless router with a firewall and switch port, I like both Belkin and Linksys, but make sure that you get a newer model that supports the emerging 802.11n standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11#802.11n
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dratnol wrote:
    Does anyone have a suggestion on a good wireless router? I used to like Linksys but the last few have had problems (drop connections, need to be rebooted, etc). I have a client that is looking to connect 3 computers wirelessly with her cable modem.

I guess I should have asked before eariler....how often are you having problems? Which model(s) are you or have you used where you experienced a problem? Also are you certain the problem originates with the router (maybe the ISP?). I guess sometimes routers needs to be power cycled, but if it's once a day there may be a problem, but monthly or quarterly....just doens't seem too bad.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Flaky routers can be symptomatic of electronic problems, power problems, firmware problems, connectivity problems, or a combination of these problems. The first thing you try is updating the router's firmware to the latest version, which may fix one or more problems you are experiencing. If it doesn't, you can try switching to a 3rd-party firmware for your router (if one is available) to check if that fixes the problems.

If the router always seems to work fine when first powered up (cold), but always starts to act flaky after a few hours or days (hot), it may be a problem with its electronics, and the router itself needs to be replaced. If the problems occurs when the router is still cold, the power supply adapter (which typically remains plugged in 24/7/365) may be over-heating or defective and just need to be replaced. The ambient temperature of the room the router is in can also cause problems in Summer that you don't experience in Winter.

Wired connectivity problems can originate with the cable or DSL provider, the ISP, the NSP, or your router's firmware reacting badly to people scanning the Internet using malformed packets (which must be fixed in the router's firmware). There's not a lot you can do about this except contact your service provider's tech support, switch to another, more "bullet-proof" router, or simply hope that the reasons for the connectivity problems go away. If only one wired client in your network is experiencing connectivity problem, swap out its network cable with a known good cable.

Wireless connectivity problems are basically caused by interference from physical objects made from metal or water (e.g., fences, window blinds, wet walls and trees), or that generate electromagnetic radiation in the same bands at the wireless signals, such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, and Bluetooth devices do. Many of these problems can be solved by either removing the source of the interference (not usually easy to do), putting a larger antenna on the client devices (not recommended, especially by the FCC), or by boosting the output power of the wireless access point (very easy to do with the proper firmware).
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I've always used linksys for my home/lab stuff, never had one problem.

I did have an issue with one at a friends house, tech support was fast and helpful. Software and drivers on the website are up to date as well.

I've also heard good things about D-Link. I have a switch from them as well.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    I have used many netgear routers, and ALWAYS i had one problem, so either i always did a firmware upgrade and pray the lord to play, and it did, and other times not....

I have also used many linksys routers and never had bit of problem.