Unattended Installation without Floppy Disk

cussetacusseta Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it possible to perform an unattended installation of XP without a floppy disk drive? If so, what are the alternatives? I'm referring specifically to creating answer files on other media besides a floppy disk.
Sometimes you've got to prove to your friends that you're still worth a damn!

Comments

• BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    You could use RIS or make a network bootable CD and then do a network unattended install.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another easy solution is to create the winnt.sif and just placing it directly inside the i386 folder. You would then have to burn xp onto a new cd. There are plenty of guides on the internet on how to burn a new xp and making the cd bootable.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe you can specify the location of the answer file as such:
    winnt32.exe /unattend:C:\foldername\unattend.txt

Simply substitute the correct path (network or otherwise) after the

/unattend:
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did an unattended installation on a Win2k with WinXP pro CD. I did not use a floppy drive.

After copying Windows Deployment Tools on the target computer, I created an Answer File then launched this command line:
    winnt32.exe /unattend:unattend.txt

I did not need to specify the location of the Answer File. I think that the default location for the AF is the directory where sysmgr.exe resides.

And it succeeded.