Options

PC Proccessors

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here is the deal. I am looking to build my own pc and I have a couple of questions first.

What is the fastest proccessor out there today? Also what one is the best for video, music, and photo editing? Overall what is the best proccessor on the market today?

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Well, that depends on if you like AMD, or Intel.

I've used both, like Intel better.

Anything with a 512k of cache and a speed of 2.4ghz should be enough for what you want to do.

The fastest Intel right now is the 3.73ghz P4

The fastest AMD right now is 2.8 Athlon 64FX

You can find all this at www.pricewatch.com
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    what about duo core proccessors?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    The Intel Pentium 4 is now a deprecated CPU and has been replaced with the Intel Core 2 Duo. Because of the multi-core design (which resembles a Pentium 3 in design more than it does a Pentium 4) the CPU speed is no longer an indicator of the processing power. For example, a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo is actually a more efficient CPU than a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4. This is also due to the larger L2 cache sizes (2-4MB) and greater Front Side Bus speed (1 Ghz).

Intel® Desktop Processor Comparison Chart
    http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyid=1
  • Options
    If you really want to drop the money, the quad cores are due out soon.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

• Options
    What the most anyone has ever spent on just a CPU? I usually wait for any CPU I want to fall under $200US.

Also, an excellent resource for what's available in CPUs, and especially in Intel vs. AMD comparisons, is the CPU page at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    So, when are the cell processors due out for pcs or are they even coming this way?

If anyone is interested....

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Computer-Processors/Cell-Inside-the-Future-of-Processor-Architecture/
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    What the most anyone has ever spent on just a CPU? I usually wait for any CPU I want to fall under $200US.

Also, an excellent resource for what's available in CPUs, and especially in Intel vs. AMD comparisons, is the CPU page at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

Awesome website. I use it all the time!!!

The most I've ever spend for a CPU was $240. However, I would never spend anything over $300.

What's the point. In 6 months, it's old news, and in 2 years, it's probably obsolete by newer games.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

• Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    jdmurray wrote:
    $200 is my limit. I usually upgrade my CPU and motherboard once a year.
  • Options
    MrDMrD Member Posts: 441
    Really? Once a year? Man..I go years without upgrading anything. Of course, I don't game. All I really use a pc for is email and connecting to a router so I could probably use a 386 :)
  • Options
    What is better about the new duo core proccessors and are they worth theextra money?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    $200-260...just depends on how much more the next step up costs. I try to stay around $200.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MrD wrote:
    Really? Once a year? Man..I go years without upgrading anything. Of course, I don't game.
    The only reason I upgrade my primary system is when there's a significant advancement in gaming software technology. It worth spending more $$$ on the higher-end motherboards that will support CPU/memory/peripheral upgrades for several years into the future. I have not yet seen a reason to upgrade to a PCI Express mobo, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I built my current rig in January of this year. I dropped about 450 for my AMD x2 4800+ . I'm currently using the MSI K8N DIAMOND PLUS motherboard, but contemplating if I am going to switch over to the ASUS AN32 SLI DELUXE. I have both of them due to procrastinatingon sending one back icon_redface.gif .

Like what was said above...the best processors are the Intel Core 2 Duo which is built on the Conroe core. Intel finally got what AMD was doing and are now being smart about performance not being measure buy clock speeds only. AMD had performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than Intel when it came to gaming benchmarks, but Intel took the crown again after introducing the Conroe core series. Even the cheapest Intel Core 2 Duo will outperform it's AMD counterpart and the AMD processors are still significantly more expensive. AMD will make a comeback though. If you do decide to go AMD, make sure you get an AM2 processor with a compatible motherboard. This will ensure a little bit more future proof with being able to support DDR2. PCI-E is also good for future proofing so when software/games began taking advantage of all of the bandwidth and performance it offers, you will already have the hardware. FYI, nothing really takes advantage of the FULL 8x for AGP icon_eek.gif !! A 64 bit processor is a must for the future. Vista will love it, and more software/applications will be created to support 64 bit. My opinion is to go with a Intel 6300 or something. It isn't that expensive, and if you really want more clock speed, they are good overclockers icon_lol.gif . Have fun!!

Famos
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    the ASUS AN32 SLI DELUXE
    Ah, Quad SLI video support is another reason to upgrade your mobo, but I won't do it until a significant number of games demand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
    famosbrown wrote:
    AMD had performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than Intel when it came to gaming benchmarks, but Intel took the crown again after introducing the Conroe core series.
    Back in 2005, you were a fool if you bought an Intel Dual Core CPU over the equivalent AMD CPUs. In 2006, exactly the opposite is true for the reasons you stated. I wonder if AMD will be back on top by late 2007/early 2008.