Is there anyway to check a node's ip address on a 2950??

kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
As it relates to a specific swithport on a catalyst 2950 switch. i understand that there can be multiple ip addresses on a switchport.....So that might answer a difinitive - no...but it wouldn't hurt to ask.....

int fa0/1 = 56.23.76.4

there might be a program. Is there? i have one but it doesnt show specific user(s) on a given port...it just shows all nodes ip addresses on the lan.

Just think it'll be interesting to know or have a tool thats gives u this information.
There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.

Comments

• SVSV Member Posts: 166
    Hi kenny504. Could you please tell me why we should assign an IP address to a normal port in the switch.

Thanks.
    Life is a journey...
  • kenny504kenny504 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 237 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SV wrote:
    Hi kenny504. Could you please tell me why we should assign an IP address to a normal port in the switch.

Thanks.

We shouldn't have to. If you have a 2950 switch plug it in and attach a few nodes ...bamm! you have a workgroup....Dhcp server or not u can manually assign host addresses on the nic.....

I hope i'm not confusing anyone by my above mentioned question.

What i mean is i want to kno....is there a way to scan switch port's and find out which ip address(s) RESIDES on that particular port. Not actually implement ip addresses on a normal switchport. I hope i answered what i think u were getting at.
    There is no better than adversity, every defeat, every loss, every heartbreak contains its seed. Its own lesson on how to improve on your performance the next time.
  • SVSV Member Posts: 166
    kenny504 wrote:
    What i mean is i want to kno....is there a way to scan switch port's and find out which ip address(s) RESIDES on that particular port.

Thanks for the clarification kenny504
    Life is a journey...
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Kenny, if you mean to find the IP address of devices attached to the switchport then you can just use reverse arp using the listed destination mac addresses, i think there might be some 3rd party programs for that.?
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    Learn the mac address from the layer 3 device arp table for that address then do a sh mac add xxxx.xxxx.xxxx on the 2950...that's the old fashion way.

Yankee
  • erikd65erikd65 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try traceroute mac ip <source IP address> <destination IP address> to see what device is attached to a specific port on a switch. CDP needs to be enabled on all switches and the IP addresses have to be in the same subnet. This may not work in older versions of IOS. I know it works on 12.2 and up, but you may want to check the Cisco web site for more info.

check this link
  • XoverXover Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cant you just use show arp on your switch? Then show mac-address-table?

SwitchA>en
    SwitchA#show arp
    Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
    Internet 192.168.1.6 1 00b0.8680.c878 ARPA Vlan1
    Internet 192.168.0.2 34 00b0.8542.8fd0 ARPA Vlan1
    Internet 192.168.1.5 13 00b0.8680.c5a0 ARPA Vlan2
    Internet 192.168.0.1 - 00b0.8542.8490 ARPA Vlan1
    Internet 192.168.2.5 6 00b0.8680.c810 ARPA Vlan3
    SwitchA#
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bummer, xover beat me too it lol.. Any who, you should know this command for CCNA.

First do a "sh mac" to find out what port and/or MAC your node is on and look at the ARP table by doing "sh arp" and compare your results...

Also notice that MAC table is listed in acending order when doing show mac, cisco made it a little easy on people like us lol..

On a router, it will actually tell you which interface it takes to get to that IP when you do sh arp, but on a switch it will just show the active vlan it resides in.. :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1