Getting an interview

skivesskives Posts: 92Member ■■□□□□□□□□
I have applied for many jobs in the past couple months but no replies. How can I get companies to let me interview?

Thanks

Comments

  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAPosts: 4,171Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    What kinds of jobs are you applying for? You are probably going to have to investigate contract/temp to perm entry level kinds of jobs (call center/helpdesk/geek squad) if you are coming in with little to no experience.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • BigToneBigTone Posts: 283Member
    What kind of cash does Geeksquad pay coming in with (not that it matters) a bachelors degree and A+/Net+ certifications...
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAPosts: 4,171Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's pretty much bottom of the barrel (never worked there so I wouldn't know pay rates). However, if you're out of college and still haven't landed a job, 6-12 months at GeekSquad is much better than nothing on your resume at all.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • tony0101tony0101 Posts: 46Inactive Imported Users ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take any job you can get. I have not had any certs, not graduated high school yet- class of 2008, and can only remember 70% of my studies. I have literally had 15 job offers in a month, all of which I have had to turn down because of my school hours.

    Leadership training is why I have all these job offers. I am enrolled in Skills USA, part of the pariametary goverment in the organization. Work on your leadership skills, put it on your resume, and watch all your offers come in.

    If you need advice, email me at [email protected]
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • KaminskyKaminsky Posts: 1,235Member
    skives wrote:
    I have applied for many jobs in the past couple months but no replies. How can I get companies to let me interview?

    When someone is selecting who to interview, they typically have a stack of CVs/Resumes of which they have to pick so many for interview. The general consensus of opinion is that you have 10 seconds of attention to your CV before it is discarded or the person reads on.

    I work as a contractor so change contracts frequently. What I have done, which works really well, is forget all those standard CV templates completely. I have my name and address details at the top center. The first section heading says "Profile" and that is where I sell myself in the third person. IE "Experienced support professional with 13 years experience working in busy ........" (Never use the word "I")
    Just in that first sentance you have got the hook in and put in a few more sentances to keep them reading. No more than two short paragraphs of 4-5 lines each.

    Then dive in to previous experience in reverse order and finally finish up with education and personal interests.

    If you put yourself in their position and think what are they looking for and then just sell yourself.

    Just a simple quick statement of what they could be getting. Works a treat for me every time.

    Oh.. and another key thing to remember is "Nobody likes a smarta$$!" so unless it is specifically requested in the application process, no pictures, nothing flashy (graphics/colour/borders/etc) unless you work in design.
    Kam.
  • keenonkeenon Posts: 1,921Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    skives wrote:
    I have applied for many jobs in the past couple months but no replies. How can I get companies to let me interview?

    Thanks

    resume needs to be revamped i would bet.. no matter what all skills you have if poorly presented they can be overlooked.

    http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Posts: 4,884Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    I work as a contractor so change contracts frequently. What I have done, which works really well, is forget all those standard CV templates completely. I have my name and address details at the top center. The first section heading says "Profile" and that is where I sell myself in the third person. IE "Experienced support professional with 13 years experience working in busy ........" (Never use the word "I")
    Just in that first sentance you have got the hook in and put in a few more sentances to keep them reading. No more than two short paragraphs of 4-5 lines each.

    Then dive in to previous experience in reverse order and finally finish up with education and personal interests.

    If you put yourself in their position and think what are they looking for and then just sell yourself.

    Just a simple quick statement of what they could be getting. Works a treat for me every time.

    Oh.. and another key thing to remember is "Nobody likes a smarta$$!" so unless it is specifically requested in the application process, no pictures, nothing flashy (graphics/colour/borders/etc) unless you work in design.

    That sounds like great advice.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Stan27Stan27 Posts: 64Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    tony0101 wrote:
    Take any job you can get. I have not had any certs, not graduated high school yet- class of 2008, and can only remember 70% of my studies. I have literally had 15 job offers in a month, all of which I have had to turn down because of my school hours.

    Leadership training is why I have all these job offers. I am enrolled in Skills USA, part of the pariametary goverment in the organization. Work on your leadership skills, put it on your resume, and watch all your offers come in.

    If you need advice, email me at [email protected]

    So what they told me when I became the president of our chapter of Skills USA wasn't BS?

    I would like to know what else you've done to get the interest of so many employers.
    I am also class of 2008, and I've done enormous amounts of work for schools, and have just gotten my A+.

    Also, if you don't mind, if you did, what did you compete in in Skills USA?
Sign In or Register to comment.