Options

Logon failures

steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
Hi guys,

I am need of some assitance! I have a dell laptop that I need to get to a user but the problem is that it will not logon to a domain for some strange reason.

It has a fresh install of XP on it, it connects to the internet, I did a net view and it even recognizes the machines around it but whatever I do it will return a logon failure everytime I try and add it to a domain. This has had me stumped for a few days, so any suggestions?

I am the lizard King. I can do anything.

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you unable to join the computer to the domain or just unable to login to the domain?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sthomas wrote:
    Are you able to join the computer to the domain or just unable to login to the domain?

Both - Which is weird! It can see the internal network but it wont logon to the XYZ domain. Im stuck with this one icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    What error message(s) to do get?
  • Options
    The error message reads:

The following error occured attempting to join the domain "XYZ":

Logon failure: unknown username or bad password.

I know for a fact that the username and password are correct, I double checked them. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of is maybe the account you are using to join the computer to the domain doesn't have sufficient rights to do that.
  • Options
    Well I am logged in as Administrator locally and im trying to use my domain admin account to log into the domain itself. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    are you trying the username in the format DOMAIN\username instead of just username? Have you verified the domain admin account you are using is not locked out or disabled or expired? Have you checked the computer account for the computer you are trying to log on with, to see if it is disabled for some reason?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you trying to join it to the domain using domain\username? Make sure you specify the domain and not just the user name.

Can you ping a DC?

Is this being joined at an OU level or just at the top level computers container?

Did you rename the computer within the workgroup and then try joining the domain at the same time w/o rebooting?

Have you tried prepopulating the computer container or OU first?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Have you tried prepopulating the computer container or OU first?

No, I'll definitely give it a go today and let you guys know on the progress.
    Thanks - :D