Options

I passed, but I am not happy.

rjb37rjb37 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took and passed N+ yesterday, I got a 773. I am happy I got my cert but I am incredibly disatified with the network + exam.
A few observations from my point of view and a little about me. I have been working in electronics since 1974 and specifically with computers since 1988. I got passed over too many times because I did not have A+ or N+ so I decided to spend the time and money to get them.
First: I think that there is way too much "knowledge" to understand for what you are tested on. I studied for four months for this test-spent over $300 on practice tests and only to get a 773 score on the test that matters.
I think I got more relevant networking questions when I took the A+ exam.
Two pionts: First do I really have to know how to hook up a game controller to admin a network? I had two questions on that.
Second point: I thought the exam was supposed to be generic. I had several questions on cisco routers, MAC OS X ver 3.0 and 3.3 and Linux server.
I especially like the way the cisco router questions were worded. They didn't "cisco" anywhere in the question body, but if you didn't know cisco you will get the question wrong.
My final thought is this and it pertains to A+ also: Even when you think you a good grasp on the material and practice tests are being scored well, there is and will be, questions on the "real exam" that will leave you feeling stupid.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well congrats anyway. :)

The exam is considered vendor-neutral, not vendor-neutered. In other words, it does not focus on any OS in particular, but knowing how to network in the various OS's on a general level is something you will encounter in the real world and therefore relevent to the exam.

Good job though, a pass with any score gets you the paper to show the HR folks when promotion time comes around. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Let's see... been working with computers since 88', getting passed over for promotion because you haven't acquired entry-level certifications. I think I would be bitter too. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Congrats on the pass

$300 on practice tests? Damn... it's not that hard..
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can probably pass the test, but I don't feel comfertable having a paper cert.
    I wish there was a way I could work and get experience.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    tony0101 wrote:

I wouldn't say that you passing the test and not having experience would consider you a paper cert. You would need to know cabling and basic networking. You can do that in your home. The commands suchs as Ipconfig/nbtstat/ping/nslook/tracert...ect you can also do a home. The one thing on the test that is always hard and no matter how much experinece you have, you still just need to memorize it, it the OSI model. The same goes with the cabling. Just because you're an experience network tech, doesn't mean you're going to use every cable/connector.

Study up for the test and you'll do fine. As long as you know what you're doing when you go in for the interview, and what to do when you're on the job, I wouldn't consider you a paper tech. Remember, everyone turns to the net or their peers to figure something out at one point. You're not going to remember everything.

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tony0101 wrote:

Volunteer some time at a school or church. You'll get some experience, make good contacts and future references, and learn all at the same time.
    All things are possible, only believe.