I ask for some professional advice/ imput

tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got an extremely flexible job offer, but it is not in the IT field directly. I want to develop my IT skills because I enjoy it, but being a high school student makes it hard t find a job in the field. Should I take the job as a resume builder, or get a job in the field. I just need some direction. You guys give excellent feedback, almost similar to a mentor. Here is the job specs:

As a part-time employee, you'll have access to the following benefits:
- Salary $3,400 per month;
- You need 2-3 hours free during the day;
- $40,800 per year;
- Comprehensive medical and life insurance for you and your dependents;
- Great starting pay and annual raises;
- Set work schedule;
- Business experience recruiters look for;
- Weekends and holidays off;
- Training and skill building.
Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
TONY Cleaveland

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Honestly in 99% of cses I'd say go work at bestbuy or soem simular sotre

but if your getitng offered 40k to work part time and still in high school you'd be crazy not to take it

take that money save as much as possiable and hopefully you won't end up up to your eyeballs in debt like so many people do after they get a post-secondary education.
  • bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    What type of job is this?

2-3 hours free during the day/no weekends == 40K?

If it's legit you'd be crazy to pass that up - but I've seen more than a couple of job offers like that in the past - lets just say that those jobs aren't exactly what they seem.
  • CicadaCicada Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is"

i was in sort of the same predicament about 6 months back. the girlfriend found a job/internship/mentoring program through a job search website in which they would pay for your classes to get you a couple certifications, and help you land an internship in the IT industry. I thought it sounded great since I lack the experience to get a good job [though i have plenty of education under my belt]

turns out that it's a popular scam and that the "company" that was doing it is in some serious legal sh**. It's one of those where they'll train you and help you land a job but you have to pay them 20% of your salary for like 2 years or some other bull. the founder of the company tried to do the same thing about 4 year prior..and he got fined hardcore for it..and i believe even jailed for a time, but bailed out...now he's up to it again...

however, if the offer is genuine, as others have said...you'd be crazy to pass it up. In high school, only working 3 days a week, making 40k?!

in about a year's time ill be done with my MBA, with certs up the wazoo and i think i'll have a hard time finding even an entry-level job!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Cicada wrote:
    "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is"

i was in sort of the same predicament about 6 months back. the girlfriend found a job/internship/mentoring program through a job search website in which they would pay for your classes to get you a couple certifications, and help you land an internship in the IT industry. I thought it sounded great since I lack the experience to get a good job [though i have plenty of education under my belt]

turns out that it's a popular scam and that the "company" that was doing it is in some serious legal sh**. It's one of those where they'll train you and help you land a job but you have to pay them 20% of your salary for like 2 years or some other bull. the founder of the company tried to do the same thing about 4 year prior..and he got fined hardcore for it..and i believe even jailed for a time, but bailed out...now he's up to it again...

however, if the offer is genuine, as others have said...you'd be crazy to pass it up. In high school, only working 3 days a week, making 40k?!

in about a year's time ill be done with my MBA, with certs up the wazoo and i think i'll have a hard time finding even an entry-level job!

If you think you will have a hard time finidng a job, then you probably will. I've always posted that getting the good paying jobs is possible without the all of the experience. I and many who have posted on in the forum community are witnesses. Just apply, apply, apply. Learn, learn, learn. Then when your degree and certifications get you the interview, you have to be able to shine, answer the questions, perform the tasks if they give you some, and land that job. If you look at a job description and have confidence that you can either do the job or learn very quickly how to do it, then you will be alright. Express that during the interview...they will love it! I.T. is always changing, things are always getting replaced with totally different type of technology, so being able to learn and adapt quickly would be an asset. That's just an example. I'm not sure what you are trying to do in I.T., but if you are trying to be a network admin or systems admin, or network engineer, or systems engineer, etc., a masters degree might not be needed at all. You could get into a company, start working, get the experience, have them pay for your Masters, and you could step into the Masters program with the real world experience that most programs require. If you plan on getting a nice job programming for 60K+ right out of college leading to a management or supervisory position, then the college courses will hold weight SIGNIFICANTLY. When I was in college, I was crammed with programming and computer science and theory, but when it came to netowrking, hardware, vendor specific like Microsoft and Cisco...non-existent. That is why I had to attain the certs...I left a cushioned high paying programming job to pursue this career because it is what I want to do. My 2 cents.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Cicada wrote:
    in about a year's time ill be done with my MBA, with certs up the wazoo
    and i think i'll have a hard time finding even an entry-level job!

you will probably have a more difficult time than someone with their A+ net + and a CIS degree because companies will look at you as being over qualified.

it happened to a guy I know.

my advice to any starting off is get your degree or diploma get your A+ net + and try applynig for jobs if that doesn't work get an MCP and you should get something.

I think you do need atleast some experience before an MCSA or MCSE carries any weight with people who know IT.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    This sounds like a sales job where the actual money you get is dependant on what you earn for them. Pay a lump some up front for "materials" and you will earn X amount.

IF it is as above and IF you are good at selling and IF you think that you might actually buy the product if it were offered to you and IF you have that amount of time to put into it, then by all means go for it.

Two sayings to always keep in mind. One already stated above which is soo true. "If its too good to be true then it probably is" and a great old fashioned Yorkshire saying.. "You don't get owt for nowt" which is also just as true.
    Kam.
  • muriloninjamuriloninja Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are still in high school and being offered a job for $40k?

I would smell that BS 10 miles away...if you want, try it and see but I would almost be certain it is BS.
  • silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    Smallguy wrote:
    Cicada wrote:
    in about a year's time ill be done with my MBA, with certs up the wazoo
    and i think i'll have a hard time finding even an entry-level job!

you will probably have a more difficult time than someone with their A+ net + and a CIS degree because companies will look at you as being over qualified.

it happened to a guy I know.

I hear this a lot, but I really don't put too much stock in it. When you're applying and trying to get an interview, its very important to convey in the cover letter that you realize you may be perceived as overqualified but you think you're a great fit for the position. Then briefly describe why, as is standard with a cover letter. Its also very important to do this when you're having the interview.

I think if you do those things properly, show that you understand the responsibilities of the position, and show that you're still enthusiastic, then this won't be a hangup for you.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No way this is legit.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish I had opportunities like that in high school.

Be careful. I got suckered into a scam that promised successful returns. Luckily I pulled out when I did.

IMO, ask people that are in it already. They'll probably give the best answer to your questions.