Options

Upgrading an old computer (P4 2.8C GHz)

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have an old PC I am looking to upgrade. I mostly use the PC for general stuff (e-mail, web browsing, word processing, etc.). I am definitely not a "basic user" though I do not do stuff like CAD, video, graphics or serious gaming, which require a lot of RAM and CPU power.

Here are some basic specs on my PC:

Intel P4 Northwood 2.8C GHz CPU
Intel D865PERL motherboard
512MB DDR 400 RAM (2 sticks of 256MB)
128MB ATI Radeon 9200 AGP video card

The main reason I am looking to upgrade is Windows Vista. I'm not going to jump on the "Vista bandwagon" right away, but I would like to keep it in mind and have the hardware ready for it. I run Win XP Pro at home and it works OK, but extra RAM and even a newer video card wouldn't hurt.

If I keep my present motherboard and CPU, I am looking to either get two extra sticks of 512MB or 1GB RAM. Yes, there will be a big performance boost from 512MB to 1.5GB or 2.5GB, but is there really a performance difference in 1.5GB RAM and 2.5GB RAM? Also, I am looking at some "Vista ready" 256MB AGP video cards. With the extra DDR 3200 ram and new 256MB AGP video card, I am looking at spending roughly $150 - $250 total if I keep my present CPU and motherboard.

BUT, I could just start over, get a new motherboard (P965), Pentium D or Core 2 Duo CPU, DDR2 RAM, and PCI-X video card. This would set me back $400 - 600.

I have played around with the Windows Upgrade Advisor as well as other "upgrade advisors" (Crucial, ATI, NVidia, PC Pitstop, etc.). My present RAM and video seem to be the weakpoints. I guess what I am really trying to ask here is "how much is too much" considering I don't have tons of $$$ to spend.

So, I am wondering which one is going to give me the "most bang for my buck." The DDR RAM addition (I'm not sure how much RAM I really need to add, though I am thinking about those two 512MB RAM sticks) and upgraded video card seems to be what I'm leaning towards, though I may just get the extra RAM for starters. Would like to hear some other opinions about these upgrade possibilities. icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Put all your money into RAM now. If you are not going to be a "first adopter" with Vista, wait a while and video card prices will drop after the release. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    In my opinion, your motherboard and processor are fine for running Vista, but you'll definitely want to increase your RAM, and a better video card wouldn't hurt. Assuming your motherboard has 4 slots for RAM, I'd buy a gigabyte to get you up to 1.5GB, you can always buy another GB later and replace the 256MB sticks if you're not satisfied with the speed. A video card with 256MB of RAM is about right.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I don't think you can ever have enough memory.....I just did a server with 8 gigs....then again, it was a server....I would say 1 gig is the bare minimum....unless you fell into the Rambus hole like I did, and a 1 gig upgrade costs as much as a new top of line duo core processor.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    icon_eek.gif two of my home lab systems are 512 rambus and they will never be upgraded icon_lol.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    To use the full graphics capability of Vista you will need a lot better than a ATI 9200. Even the venerable ATI 9800 Pro is a clunker on Vista. A good video card upgrade will last you years and actually take some of the load off your CPU.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the feedback! :)

I think kujayhawk93 has hit the nail on the head! Adding 1GB (2 sticks of 512MB RAM) sounds very reasonable. Somehow, I just can't justify spending an extra $100 to get 2GB (2 sticks of 1GB RAM).

As for video cards, is there anything in particular that I need to check out? JD makes a good point about the video card.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    rd, your computer is similar to my test machine.

I have a p4 2.8c also, my chipset is 848, which does have dual channel, I run 1.5g ram right now, and it's fine for vista. I have a radeon 7500 aiw inside, and it's weak for aero, but when I swap a 9800pro, it's does its job well.

if you do not already have it setup, your board supports dual channel upto 2gb on double side memory, and 4gb on single side memory, as well as raid 0, and 1.

you have 512 now, pick up 2 sticks of 512, to get 1.5gb. Change your hdd configuration to raid 0, and you will probably notice much better results on your computer.

if you put a stick of 1gb in your machine now, it wont be dual channel anymore, I think for your board, it will operate in 'virtual' single channel.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    When upgrading your video card, you need to decide which manufacturer you favor (ATI, nVidia, or "other"). You also need to decide what your budget for the card is: $300? $200? $100? Less? You can save some money by buying used cards, but you won't get the manufacturer's warranty if something goes wrong with the card. I've had more in-warranty replacements on video cards that any other type of computer components, so I will always advise to buy new.

The card *MUST* be compatible with DirectX 9.0 and have at least 128MB of video RAM (256MB is better) and PixelShader 2.0 support. You can't go less on any of these specs for Vista. You aren't a hard-core gamer, so specs like 12 vs. 16 pixel pipelines aren't going to affect you, but do note if your computer uses a PCI, AGP, or PCIe card for video.

Now, you pick your new card based on your budget and these specs. With nVidea, you will go with at least the Geforce GX5200; for ATI the bottom is probably the 9800XL or XT (only buy an 9800 Pro if you can verify that it has the newer R360 GPU core). You can use older cards ATI (9600, 9250, etc.) if you will not be using Vista's Aero Glass interface.
  • Options
    OK, I just ordered two 512MB sticks of DDR 3200 RAM. Windows XP for now will run much smoothly for sure! Later, I'll order a better video card for Windows Vista.

I appreciate your help! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all! :D
  • Options
    cpublastercpublaster Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
    * 1 GB of system memory.
    * Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
    * 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    * DVD-ROM Drive3.
    * Audio output capability.
    * Internet access capability.

Find more details at my web site -->> www.heyfixmypc.com