GIAC

th_gromth_grom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm curious, does anyone here have a GIAC Cert?

And if you do, how do you mesure it with the Security+/ CISSP?

Grom

Comments

• th_gromth_grom Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the GSEC course to get my foot in the door.
    I have been a Systems Administrator for a few years.

I have studied Sec+ and Cisco, I didn't think I was ready for
    the CISSP.

Does anyone have a thought?

Thanks,
  • wmackeywmackey Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The GIAC certs are great for hands on, how do I do something. If I was looking for an analyst to work in a specific area GIAC would be high on my list. The CISSP is more of a broad survey. Sometimes refered to as a Management level certification. Kind of apples and oranges thing.

Wade Mackey
  • sekure70sekure70 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just attained my GCFW back in Dec '06. I have concentrated on security for the last 8 years.

For the most part, the GIAC certs are very technical in nature and go into great detail within the area of concentration, hence why there are so many GIAC certs. Overall, these certs will give you new insight a deeper understanding with regards to security.

I can speak only for the GIAC GCFW and Security+ as I have both. The Security+ is a great starting point if you are wanting to get the basics. GIAC certs as I stated above are very technical in nature and would be great for middle/senior security analysts. I intend to go after the CISSP later this year, but it is my understanding that it is geared more towards upper management that are responsible or involved with securing a company (i.e. CSO).

CISSP does not go into great detail as the GIAC certs (should they knox the difference between nmap vs. nessus?), but the CISSP does get involved more from a business aspect and best practices.

Cheers!